How the renal social worker can help

If you have financial worries, the Renal Social Worker should be your first port of call. He or she will be able to tell you about the support that is available, and can help you with any claims for benefits you may be entitled to. In addition, he or she may be able to arrange for your travelling expenses to and from the Unit to be refunded.

The social worker will also be able to look into the possibility of applying on your behalf for grants from charities, including financial assistance that would enable you to take a holiday.

  • Benefit entitlement
  • Counselling sessions - for partners or carers as well as patients
  • Grants from charities
  • Referrals to occupational therapists for aids/adaptations
  • Travelling expenses to and from the Renal Unit where there are financial difficulties or a statutory entitlement to financial assistance.
  • Liaison with the Housing Department where rehousing is necessary for Home Dialysis, and with other statutory and voluntary organisations.
  • Holidays - holidays where financial help is necessary.
  • Advice and support on a range of practical and financial matters, as well as personal and emotional issues.
  • Home care - assessments for assistance with Home Help support, Meals on Wheels, Telephone installation and Care-Link alarm systems.
  • Residential Care - assessments for assistance in respect of rest or nursing home care (respite/short/long term).
  • Hospital discharge - to ensure patients have an appropriate support/care plan when returning to the community from hospital.

If you would like to speak to a social worker, please ask a member of staff on the Unit to refer you or give you the social worker's contact details.

Back to Financial Implications