nxStage Users conference

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

nxStage Users conference

Post by amanda in CA »

I am just returning from the NxStage Users Forum in New Orleans. I had the most wonderful and informative experience. I met so many great people, both parents and carers. I learnt so much and even did pretty well on a quiz that they are giving to new users, even though I haven't done the training yet!

It was so nice to be able to open up and talk honestly about being on dialysis, something that is not possible with the general population, since they do not understand, and whomcan really blame them?

i learnt so many things, including a new but controversial type of cannulation, called side cannulation which involves tunnelling through the skin and is specific for shallow fistulas and those with aneurisms.

I also spoke to someone in a dialysys unit which doesn't have a center near me who discussed the possibility of remote care via Skyoe or something similar. I will keep you posred.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: nxStage Users conference

Post by JMan »

This is being done in the UK as well.

As he lives in a remote area of Wales, he can use SKYPE and webcam to chat to his nurse and consultant, including showing any issues he may have with his fistula. This makes sense in this day n age:)
Some units have a central internet link to all home machines so any tech errors can be monitored as well as clearance data, and other obs:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
crowes

Re: nxStage Users conference

Post by crowes »

The idea of remote care is interesting. I wonder if the bedside manner would still feel as warm? I don't know, I like in-person contact. But, if someone lives far away from quality care, it definitely makes sense.