National Transplant Week (UK)

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

bigbuzzard

National Transplant Week (UK)

Post by bigbuzzard »

It's National Transplant Week this week - this is an annual thing dreamed up by the NHS to promote people signing up to the Organ Donor Register.
http://www.transplantweek.co.uk/

In the past there hasn't been a huge amount of publicity around promoting this, but for the last year or so, the NHS has been running various campaigns to actively try and get more people signed up, which is great.

If you're on Facebook, there's an 'event' you can 'attend' (without actually going anywhere - just click 'Attending' here: https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139178176148660

They're also organising actual events in:

London - Monday 4th July
Cardiff - Tuesday 5th July
Birmingham - Wednesday 6 July
Belfast - Thursday 7 July
Newcastle - Friday 8 July
Glasgow - Friday 8 July

They're keen for anyone to come along - especially if you are waiting for, or have had a transplant. If you want to go along, and want to know exactly where and when each thing is, contact: [email protected] or call 020 7815 3900 or 07740 334763.

I'm going to be in Cardiff on Tuesday - and will be here in Queen St, playing some sax, and making some noise from around 11 - 3pm. Media people have been invited along at 11.30, and a Welsh Health Minister will be there around noon. If anyone is in Cardiff and fancies coming along, it'd be great to meet you - especially as I'm the only 'patient' currently expected to be there. More would be great!

Hopefully, there'll be stories appearing in the national and local media. Try giving your own local paper or radio station a call and asking if they're doing anything for National Transplant Week. Tell them your story, or get them to contact Heather for someone else in your area.

There was a Flashmob thing this morning in London organised by Live Life Then Give Life - was great to meet Sarah I and Sanela there. Perhaps you'll see us in the video of the event that should appear tomorrow sometime.
smudge

Re: National Transplant Week (UK)

Post by smudge »

Here's the flashmob footage. Looks like it was good fun. Would have been there but was away for the weekend.

http://www.lltgl.org.uk/page.cfm/Link=5 ... e=02072011
Donated kidney to my best friend on 24th June 2009 at St Georges Hospital
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Also Dementia Awareness Week apparently
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Andy...
I have only just read this... how was Cardiff? I miss it. If I was home I certainly would he strolled down to meet you!
Hope it was fun and I hope that lots of people signed up. I personally think it is important that people in Wales should sign the ODR been is taken away from them, almost with out them realising. (Wales have chosen an opt out system).
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I've just had a chat with a journalist re: an article in a Bella/Chat style magazine (Love it!, I think), arranged by someone from the Transplant Week team to raise some awareness. :) Will let you know if/when it goes out!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Andy wrote:I have only just read this... how was Cardiff? I miss it. If I was home I certainly would he strolled down to meet you!
Hope it was fun and I hope that lots of people signed up. I personally think it is important that people in Wales should sign the ODR been is taken away from them, almost with out them realising. (Wales have chosen an opt out system).
Cardiff was interesting - if a bit gloomy on Tuesday. Sorry to miss you. The Welsh Minister for Health was there, as was Sally Johnson, the Director of Organ Donation and Transplantation at NHSBT. There were loads of pix taken, and interviews for BBC radio and TV. The BBC reported said that these would be used next week (Tuesday or Weds I think) as that's when the bill to make Wales move to a system of Presumed Consent starts its way through the Welsh parliament. It was clear from talking to the Minister and some of the civil servants there, that it's still very early in the change to Presumed Consent for Wales. They don't even know exactly what system they want to implement yet - as it's still all up for consultation.

So - it's definitely still as important as ever for people in Wales to join the ODR, even if Wales does implement presumed consent. Also worth noting that Wales and the rest of the UK are all part of the same transplant matching system - so it doesn't matter whether organs come from 'presumed consent' donors or not - they'll all go to people on the same waiting list.

I'm really interested to see how well this does work in Wales. In talking to people on the street, there were some who are definitely not keen on being thought of as potential donors - although there was one who said that if presumed consent happens, she wouldn't mind as she would regard it as more 'normal' for everyone to be regarded as a potential donor.

On balance, as I've written here before, I don't think presumed consent is a good idea for the UK. BUt if they do go ahead in Wales, I certainly hope that it works out to increase the number of transplants.
Andy

Post by Andy »

We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Yes - I saw that. Was a bit hacked off at first that I was quoted inaccurately, but I got over it!

I did a long interview with a BBC reporter about presumed consent - don't know whether that ever came out anywhere.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

"Also Dementia Awareness Week apparently"

I'd forgotten about that.
badblood

Post by badblood »

Does anybody know when National Transplant Week is in 2013? I cant find dates anywhere
Mrs Pick

Post by Mrs Pick »

Hi badblood, I e-mailed NHSBT to ask when transplant week next year is but they never answered so I rang them and after being past from pillar to post I still have no idea. No one knows or may be the person who does know is on annual leave, off sick or just not answering their phone!!! I will persist though. Watch this space :?:
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

National Transplant week is always the first half of July. NHSBT only took 'ownership' in 2011, prior to that it was 'owned' by 'The Transplant Trust' which is no longer in operation. I am involved in a charity (Live Life then Give Life) which is one of those invited to join the charity 'stakeholder' in side of it and I know that they have not yet done the debrief of 2012 so I am sure they will announce the 2013 dates in due course. The planning usually kicks off properly in Jan/Feb time and, as they are only 6 weeks post the 2012 one, I think that a little breathing space is not unreasonable.
Mrs Pick

Post by Mrs Pick »

Hi badblood I have had a reply from Rachel Dance from NHSBT

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. We don't have confirmed dates for National Transplant Week 2013 yet although traditionally it's the second week in July, running from Monday - Sunday. We wont be able to confirm the dates until we begin planning which we will do once we have budget allowance.

Many thanks

Rachel
badblood

Post by badblood »

Thanks for your replies Mandy V and Mrs Pick, the reason I ask is that I am planning a sponsored ride in the trail centres in the Scottish borders to raise money for the PKD Charity and also to raise awareness of Donor registration. I have a friend riding with me to raise money for Cash for Kids which is another worthwhile cause that some young renal patients may well benefit from. I am wanting to time the ride to coincide with National Transplant week 2013 as the ride is actually through the 7 trail centres over 7 days so it fits in perfectly.

Obviously I also hope to gain more support for the ride through the publicity of National Transplant Week and generate as much sponsorship as possible.
I will be working on getting as much media coverage as possible for this both while training for the ride and also during the ride itself in local press and hopefully some national coverage.

Further details of the ride and sponsorship can be found in the links below:

Just Giving
Facebook

If anybody knows of any good contacts for media and sponsorship support I would be happy to hear about them. I have already emailed the PKD charity and been sent the fundraising pack and t-shirts

Thanks,

Pete