Ode to a Dialysis Diet

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

Ode to a Dialysis Diet

Post by Pam »

The other day I was in the supermarket and surrounded by forbidden foods, I decided to write out this poem for all dialysis patients who are in the same situations:

IRRESISTABLE ENEMY

I went to the grocery store today
Phosphorus and sodium stood in my way
I then passed by cheeses, so yummy and fair
Then caught myself and said "Don't go there!"

I became misty-eyed over the whole grains, it's true
But then told myself, "There's nothing here for you!"
Chocolate and nuts are calling my name
My diet, I fear, will never be the same!

Sometimes it seems all I can eat is bland goo
All because of two minerals-
Sodium and phosphorus
You're my enemies! I HATE YOU!

Hope you get a chuckle and a smile from this poem!

Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Lorna

Re: Ode to a Dialysis Diet

Post by Lorna »

Fantastic Pam, love the poem - and it all rings so true! Grocery shopping really depresses me, there's so much we're not allowed but it's the drinks aisles that I can't stand! I find myself just staring at bottles of coke and juice, imagining huge ice filled glasses of aforementioned drinks ........... And I think knowing we're not allowed all these foods makes us want them more, I never used to eat a lot of bananas, only buying them occasionally, but now I just crave them.

Thanks again for your poem, made me giggle :lol:

Lorna
xxxxx
Pam

Post by Pam »

Thank you Lorna...I'm glad you enjoyed the poem and glad it gave you a laugh! Yes, it is so true that we want all the foods (and drinks) we cannot have...I am fortunate that with PD I don't have to watch my fluids so much, but I remember being on hemo and it seemed I ALWAYS saw fountains and brooks and anything having to do with water!
I always tell the people I know who are healthy to appreciate the awesome work their bodies do for them and not take eating food or drinking water for granted. If they could only take a walk in our shoes they'd never forget that a healthy body is a true gift from God.
I guess we must laugh about our restrictions or we might end up in tears! :wink:
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Jill

Post by Jill »

Pam....is your surname Ayres by any chance?
Your ode made me smile - thankyou!
Jill