Water meter charges for kidney patients

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

frogger

Water meter charges for kidney patients

Post by frogger »

Hi all

Is anyone that is on CAPD or APD on a water meter?
Are kidney patients on the above dialysis entitles to a reduced water rate?

Is anyone in the same situation? Do you have any info on this topic?
Many Thanks for any replies
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

At the moment we are not on a meter (although they have installed them) What the situation will be when/if we start using them I don't know.

Heamo machines use a fair bit of water I think.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
pgt67

Water charges

Post by pgt67 »

with regard to water charges It is similar to repayment of electricity in that bills are submitted and costs are repayed. I am not aware of any electricity comapny reducing costs because a person is on dialysis so i wouldn't think there would be any water company reducing charges likewise.

I've often wondered if those on CAPD with water meters get their costs back as home haemo patients do.
Mike

Post by Mike »

didn't get any when i was on dialysis but didn't know you could (and get elec back!) so didn't apply but found this for south staffs water so might be the same for other water companies?

http://www.south-staffs-water.co.uk/dow ... rvices.pdf
Dialysis Patients

Please inform us if you are a dialysis patient so that in
the event of an emergency we can advise you if your
supply will be turned off for a long period of time. We
can also tell you when your supply is likely to be
restored.

If we have planned work that will require your water
supply to be turned off, we will advise you and assist
you with any necessary special arrangements.

Vulnerable Customers

You may be eligible to be billed at a reduced rate if
you are paying for your water services based on
meter reading and you or any member of your
household are receiving any of the following benefits:

• Council Tax Benefit
• Housing Benefit
• Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
• Income Support
• Disabled Persons Tax Credit
• Working Families Tax Credit
And the person receiving the benefit has at least one
of the following:
• 3 or more dependant children,
• or a medical condition requiring high water usage,
• or a child who has a medical condition requiring
high water usage.
and this

http://www.unitedutilities.com/Document ... wchart.pdf

that says:-

Renal failure requiring home dialysis – (except where the health authority contributes to the cost of the dialysis)

whatever that means???
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
pgt67

Post by pgt67 »

I should have added to my earlier post that costs are reclaimed from the hospital by submitting the relevant bills, who in turn would i presume reclaim from the PCT's - a money merry - go - round.

The majority of utility companies offer discounted rates to those on benefits and those who fit certain criteria - its always worth ringing them, the least they can say is sorry we dont do anything.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

When I was on PD/APD, I don't remember needing to use more water than usual - except for a bit of extra hand washing! I suppose there was an extra 14 litres a day of fluid going down the loo, though I don't think that's being metered (yet...) anywhere.
Ailsa

Post by Ailsa »

When I was on PD the nurses asked for all utility information as they would inform them I was a dialysis patient - obviously if they had to cut power/water etc they would need to inform me in good time or make arrangements etc!

Other than that the nurses didnt mention anything about help with bills
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Like Andy I didn't use more water and therefore would not see why there should be any support on water meter - there is just basic good hygiene (and actually post tx I wash my hands just as often if not more!!! - especially when preparing food)
pgt67

Post by pgt67 »

I realise that there would be no assistance with regard to water and APD but surely you would be eligable for some assistance with regard to electric??
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Sorry - can't help on the electric - I would ask your APD nurses to give you the cost of running the machine (at least in terms of units) and then you should be able to estimate how much it would be to start the discussion. I have to say that I never noticed an increase in my usage after I started APD nor a decrease afterwards, though I am not noted for my scrutiny of the bills and the prices have moved and I only get my meter read about once a year!
stephenM

water meter

Post by stephenM »

I'm on capd and on a water meter, I tried to get a reduction or my charges capped but was informed by the water company that i would only receive help if I received the income support benifit. i do use extra water I need to flush the 4 bags down the toilet, but I dont qualify for the income support because my wife works more than 30 hrs.
Learning to live again!!
black rat

Post by black rat »

For those on haemo or CAPD that runs during the night I recommend you get in touch with your electicity supplier. You need to get listed as a priority with the company. With the listing you get a special phone number to call should the power go off during the cycle and the electricity supply company will, I'm assured, treat you as a priority and make arrangements to supply electricity
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Except when they don't bother to check if your registered and cut the power when your mid dialysis. This happened to me once or twice. When speaking to the man in the van they confirmed yes that I was registered, but they'd been given the go ahead to work. Luckily I was able to get my blood back manually.

I purchased an emergency light as a safety precaution now gets dark earlier.
pgt67

Post by pgt67 »

black rat wrote:For those on haemo or CAPD that runs during the night I recommend you get in touch with your electicity supplier. You need to get listed as a priority with the company. With the listing you get a special phone number to call should the power go off during the cycle and the electricity supply company will, I'm assured, treat you as a priority and make arrangements to supply electricity
As a priority customer they will do all they can to keep electricity flowing to your property but if it goes off, it goes off - the only thing they can do is reroute the supply and then again theres no guarantee they can do that. Had my power off recently for over 45 mins and yes they were aware I was a renal patient but the only answer I got was they were aware of the problem and were fixing it as we spoke. Fortunately I wasn't on the machine but i am sure there will come a time when it happens!
geduramah

Post by geduramah »

related but off topicish

What about gas? I really suffer the cold as like many of you bunch, so do we get a reduction in heating costs? I will do my own research but would like to hear othrs ventures.
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k