Supermarket causing nausea

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Trinitybell

Supermarket causing nausea

Post by Trinitybell »

A bit of strange question but before I was diagnosed with kidney failure I found that a supermarket shop being surrounded by food made me feel very sick, now on dialysis I have recently found the same problem, going around the supermarket thinking about what food to buy makes me feel very sick, the same with the smell of food and at meal times, it brings on nausea.

Does anyone else have a problem with supermarkets making you feel nauseas or is it just me.

Trinitybell
Jill

Post by Jill »

Hi.
Yes, being in a supermarket makes me feel sick, particularly near the cooked chicken and the deli section. When I go to the shops I have to plan my route carefully to avoid all fish & chip shops, Indian restaurants, burger joints etc as the smell coming from them actually makes me throw up.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

I agree with you totally, but it is not restricted to supermarkets. I really hate the smell of fresh-made popcorn, and fast food burittos. They sell this sort of stuff at events stadiums in the US and I really wish that they wouldn't. There is nothing that ruins my enjoyment more than having someone sitting near me scoffing one of these things.
Cheryl in CT

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, trinitybell-

In my WORST pre-transplant moments, I likened many of the feelings resulting from renal illness to those of being pregnant... In either case, certain food odors could really set me off! (Even the LOOK of certain foods - for me, raw meat, in particular) could just about do me in.

Suffice it to say that no, you are NOT alone in your observations!

all the best,
Cheryl
Connecticut, USA
pgt67

Post by pgt67 »

Sorry to say the only sickness I feel in the supermarket is when the cashier has totalled everything up, I then go all weak at the knees and come over all dizzy :lol:
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I feel horrible in supermarkets and smaller shops in the aisles that are full of detergents and cleaning products. It does seem to be something that i'm noticing more now than I did, say, 10 years ago. That may be because I've also become keener to avoid man made chemicals in general, so perhaps that's causing me to be more aware of them.

In general, I'm glad to say that food smells don't affect me - perhaps with one exception. Sometimes vinegar can have a nauseous effect. I first noticed in salt and vinegar crisps. They would have a smell more like severe BO than crisps, which wasn't great! I think I even sent a pack back to the manufacturers once! Then I started noticing it in other vinegary things. It's mostly gone away these days, but does sometimes return.