Update On Transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

xotrueeloveeox

Update On Transplant

Post by xotrueeloveeox »

I am so sorry it took me so long to write an update on my transplant. Heres why it took so long:

August 26th, mom goes in at 7:00am
I follow at 8:00.
We get out 6 hours later and they keep the breathing tube in my throat for a few hours.
The first 10 hours of my transplant I was urinating non-stop, until it just stopped working.
They did a biopsy and found I had antibodies attacking my kidney, so now I'm doing Plasmapheresis and Dialysis at hershey for the next 2 weeks. I just started urinating a little each day, so hopefully everything is getting all settled. There was talk of FSGS or Nephrotic Syndrome coming back, so now Im doing a 3 day drip of Steriods. Which isnt so bad after being on steriods for 8 years.

So thats what has been going on, Im frustrated, and I just wish my kidney would work...

Helpful words please..
my_angel

Post by my_angel »

i'm sorry i dont have any helpful words for you ,ihave only just started dialysis but when i met the trsnsplant team they said that a kidney doesn't always work straight away and sometimes you need dialysis before it kicks in

i hope everything settles and your kidney starts working
casz
diandy

Post by diandy »

Hi Andrea,

:D Got my fingers crossed that things are picking up for you. Let us know how you're doing. Good luck and try and keep your spirits up. I'm sure loads of us are wishing you well despite not many replies. Take lots of care

Di x
xXx Holz xXx

Post by xXx Holz xXx »

Wishing you well too Andrea,

Take care and keep smiling

Thinking of u x
Holly Shaw

Please visit my blog: https://transplanttantrumsandtiaras.wordpress.com
xotrueeloveeox

Post by xotrueeloveeox »

I've started urinating a little bit more each day, but the doctors are telling me that my levels (i.e creatnine and such) arent getting better. So we just don't know what to think, or what to do...

Even the doctors wont give us a straight answer. And its almost like they arent talking to eachother. I was my surgeons first failed transplant, so it seems like he just wants to experiment. Its rather frustrating. I havent been home in 3 weeks and I just want to go home .. =[

getting a bit down in the dumps lately =[

help.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Andrea - so sorry to hear about your problems, cannot offer much help except to say that you and your mom and whoever else you want there should ask for a meeting with the lead consultant to help you understand exactly what they are thinking / proposing so you understand what is going on. It must be very scary not knowing ... am thinking of you
best wishes
mandy
xotrueeloveeox

Post by xotrueeloveeox »

As of wednesday my creatinine dropped to 5.2. Under 6, which is amazing! Im averaging peeing about 4 to 5 times a day at about 150 cc's each time. So all in all I guess things are getting better. They are looking towards taking me off dialysis as soon as possible.

One question, has anyones heamo catheter ever flipped its position? Instead of the flat part being the the bottom, touching your skin, has it ever just turned around?

Mine does, i dont like ittt.
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hey andrea,

glad to hear things are getting loads better-- a dropping creatinine is a very good thing indeed!

My kidney was also slow to wake up- it took mine about 7 days to start working and two weeks until my creatinine bottomed out at 80, now it has stablized in the 90-110 range :)

fingers crossed for continued progress

xoxo
xotrueeloveeox

Post by xotrueeloveeox »

Call me crazy but according to my doctors, or at least to my surgeon, he said that I shouldnt even be peeing, but my church (and I am not a religious person) have been praying since before I even got my kidney!

I dont think the doctors have any clue about whats going on.

My creatnine is still dropping, but my blood pressure is EXTREMELY high. To the point where I do believe I will be admitted sometime within the next two weeks for it. The other day it reached to about 225 over 125. Then dropped during dialysis, but then shot back up. My doctor up my meds but it still isnt really helping. I stay around the 149 over 90 area.

Anyone else had this problem?
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hi andrea,
high blood pressure can be caused by loads of things post-transplant, mostly as a side effect of some of the drugs that can cause all kinds of issues.

Fingers crossed for continued progress for you

x