Update-still unsure how i feel :/

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

scary2112

Update-still unsure how i feel :/

Post by scary2112 »

Hey all just thought id post a wee update as last time i was on here i was a bit in limbo waiting on tests and scans and wondering what happened next. Good news is the ultrasound in jan showed no changes/no fresh scarring or tumours. :)
Was informed today by gp while handing in a routine sample that my good kidney is functioning around 64% (which came as a bit of an eye opener as i've constantly been told kidney function is normal) while the scarred one is now only at 5%. . Still unsure as to whether they want to remove the deformed damaged one or just leave it alone but i dont see the consultant for another 3 months. :(
So, in short, still a wee bit in limbo but coming on here reading everyones advice helps me stop being absolutley terrified of what happens next ;) am glad this forum exists :) thanku everyone <3

Scary xx
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: Update-still unsure how i feel :/

Post by JMan »

Suprised no one has replied yet.

They might well remove the damaged kidney, or leave it if its deemed to not cause any problems.

Keep on posting:)

J
scary2112

Post by scary2112 »

Thanks jman. Apart from niggles, tiredness and constant infections i dont feel that it causes many problems. I only have 3 months to wait and will find out :)

Scary xx
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Scary - good news about the ultrasound. With regard to the 'good kidney' - according to Patientview in the description about eGFR (which is an indication of % of kidney function) anything over 60 is 'normal range', so maybe this is why your doctor has always talked about 'normal function' to you? With regard to the not so good kidney and whether this is removed - I have two rubbish kidneys and I have been told that, regardless of whether I have a transplant or dialysis, my kidneys will be left in place. That said, if the bad kidney is causing you a lot of problems eg pain, infection etc, it maybe that your consultant recommends removal. Obviously I am not medically trained and could be talking nonsense, but hopefully it gives you some idea! Good luck at your appointment and try not to worry too much in the meantime. :)
scary2112

Post by scary2112 »

Thanks dixie :) yup reading stuff on here is confirming what i thought. Im so glad this forum exists so patients can re-assure each other. Its definitley helping me to chill out a bit and not panic about what happens next. Constant infections are a pain in the butt but am learning to cope with that and pain management without pills cos i hate taking the things lol :)

Scary xx