Securing PD catheter?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Dotty

Securing PD catheter?

Post by Dotty »

Hi All.

How do you secure your catheter's?

I have tried the belt but found it irritating and now been using micropore tape just to stick it to my tummy. However after keep changing it 4 times a day it's now becoming sore.

So, ideas would be very welcome.

Thanks

Dotty.
47 years old.
IGA Nephropathy diagnosed May 2013 with eGFR of 22%
PD dialysis started May 2014
3rd PD catheter fitted and failed July 2014
Hemodialysis started July 2014

Red Lippy and PMA (Positive Mental Attitude) gets me through each day!
Grey

Re: Securing PD catheter?

Post by Grey »

Hi I use me pore. Luckily it does not affect my skin. I use one over the exit site and a second securing the tube so that it cannot accidently get hooked and pull on the tube. But then I only change the plaster once a day on apd
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
Adam

Post by Adam »

I used tape. I don't recall the brand names, but I had a papery type (blue writing on the inside of the roll) and a more fabric/gauze type (green writing). I preferred the latter as it was less irritating. I found changing the area where you apply the tape could help.

By the end of my time on CAPD, I just used to stick the loose end in my left-hand trouser pocket. It didn't pull much on the exit wound on the left side of my belly.
July 2008 - transplant - living related donor
April 2005 - dialysis - tunnelled neckline, then CAPD (15 months), then HD (left wrist AV fistula)
January 2004 - diagnosis - IgA Nephropathy
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Hmm I did think about putting it in my pocket but was worried about it catching,

Will try some different tape and see if that helps.

Cheers

Dotty
47 years old.

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

when I had my PD tube the nurses gave me "netty knickers" which were very fine washable netted knickers from which they cut out the gusset and left a band under which you placed the tube and then put ordinary knickers on top
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

My team showed me how to use another small dressing with two slits cut in it which you could loop the tube through, this meant that you could get away with only changing the tube loop one every couple of days as long as you kept it clean and dry.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

i used a large and small mepore dressing in rotation to give the skin around the exit site a breather, also moved the position of the dressing arond so the exit site was not always central to the pad.

Paper tape and mepore tape to fix the tube, again I moved the position and somethimes put the tape over the main dressing. The cuff will ensure it is never pulled out of your body, the skin grows onto theat and makes a secure anchor! I would prefer tape and the belts are also useless and ugly, whoever designed them has never had PD dialysis!
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Fabrette

Post by Fabrette »

Hi Dotty- I didn't get on with the tape either- felt like I was pulling skin off with it every time- I use Micropore dressings but I buy knickers that have a wide stretchy lace waistband- I find the end of the tube is held there quite securely tucked in the waistband and is much more comfy than extra dressings or tape- I've had my PD tube in 3.5 years now and have coped really well this way.

Denise xx
My one life added to my cat's nine make a perfect ten.
Dotty

Post by Dotty »

Thanks Denise, that's what I have been trying the last few days and it's so much better. I'm using tape only at night now .

Dotty
47 years old.