Having either a Sigmoidoscopy or a Colonoscopy

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Chris In Trowbridge

Having either a Sigmoidoscopy or a Colonoscopy

Post by Chris In Trowbridge »

Hi all, i am having either a Sigmoidoscopy or a Colonoscopy, this requires taking a bowel cleansing product, either drinking it or as a enema, i been reading and it seems these are not good for people with stage 3, 4 or 5 CKD, who are not receiving dialysis, it can make your eGFR decline/drop quicker or even lead to Acute renal failure, either drinking it or as a enema, Oral sodium phosphate (OSP) seems not good at all, i think i will be taking a enema like Cleen (formerly Fleet) , and that contains sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate, disodium phosphate dodecahydrate, i am scared of taking it, has anyone here taken it safety ? or is there a substitute that is safe for kidneys, and if i have to take a cleansing product through mouth, i read to try and use a product that contains Polyethylene glycol (PEG), and not a product that contains Oral sodium phosphate, think Moviprep might be ok ?, so my question is, has anyone here had either a Sigmoidoscopy or a Colonoscopy, thx
Rik

Re: Having either a Sigmoidoscopy or a Colonoscopy

Post by Rik »

Hi Chris..
I've been through that..
I'm a kidney recipient..
I took moviprep I believe..
no adverse reaction to my kidney function afterwards..
just ensure that your Dr and the team know your concern and ask questions..
if nothing else it will make them consider more carefully what they prescribe..
what ever it is.. don't go out and party after taking the cleansing agent!! :shock:
Chris In Trowbridge

Thx for reply Rik, only just seen your reply, as forum was down for a while, just found out its a Sigmoidoscopy i will be having, and that requires a enema by bottom, and from what i read, there not good, i mean the one that contains sodium phosphate, i guess once i get date for it, i will contact the hospital and clarify with them, thx again for reply.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Chris In Trowbridge,

Rather than worrying, ring whoever ordered the investigation to make sure they are aware of your Kidney condition.
Failing that, ring your GP or Kidney Consultant and check with them.
If you leave it until later you are just going to keep worrying, and that will get worse day by day.

Best wishes.
Chris In Trowbridge

Thx Wagolynn, only just seen this reply, did not get a reply email sent to me, even thou i am subscribed to this post, thx for the info, it seems Moviprep is what i will be taking and thats ok, its just that the Sedation meds are not that great for your kidneys, so i may try and have the Sigmoidoscopy or a Colonoscopy done with no sedation/pain relief, to be on the safe side, not looking forward to it at all.
Chris In Trowbridge

Rik wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:19 pm Hi Chris..
I've been through that..
I'm a kidney recipient..
I took moviprep I believe..
no adverse reaction to my kidney function afterwards..
just ensure that your Dr and the team know your concern and ask questions..
if nothing else it will make them consider more carefully what they prescribe..
what ever it is.. don't go out and party after taking the cleansing agent!! :shock:
Rik, did you have sedation for your Colonoscopy ? as i know that some of the meds they give you also aint great, the gas they offer is ok thou, just not sure i can handle colonoscopy without pain or anxiety medication, thx