Stent Removal: different experiences

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Rik

Re: Stent Removal: different experiences

Post by Rik »

MandyV wrote:but if even Rik says it was okay ....
Solo ... I should point out to that I have always had a severe allergy ........ to pain!!! :?
it nearly always brings me out in a heavy stream of tears ... :roll:

if your still unsure ... I could always offer to hold your hand ...
as long as you promise to have your nails cut!!!!!!! :wink:
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Nomad10,
I am sorry to read about your husbands treatment. I hope he is recovering from his ordeal.

Local anaesthetic is usually used in preference to general anaesthetic as there is less risk to health.

Obviously, something went radically wrong, this needs to be formally reported to the hospital involved at once, for the sake of future patients.
Please take the trouble to report it, be prepared for a long process but it is well worth the effort. You could send copy's of all statements to the Quality care commission as well.

Best wishes.
janita

Post by janita »

I may be a little late with my input in this but I just wanted to add my bit.

I had a couple of stents put in during my illness and I was TERRIFIED! I wanted sedations, general anasthetic - anything I could have. I ended up having none. My Consultant said the removal would be over in a matter of seconds - and it was!! I could not believe how fast it was - and I would say just a little uncomfortable. I laughed after it was done as I couldn't beleive how much I had worked myself up. The second time I had one taken out I didn't think twice about it - I knew it would be ok.

Please dont make a decision on someone elses experience - everyone is different and I am usually a huge baby when it comes to pain.

Best wishes.

J x
MarkKent

Post by MarkKent »

Hi everyone, my stent was supposed to be removed today, but they couldn`t find it in my bladder, probably it has moved further into my uretera somehow???? Feel frustrated, wanted this to be over so bad… They`re going to do general anesthesia in few weeks time now and go look for it! Has it happened to anyone? Feel a bit scared as my stent seems to have its own life there and wanders around with no purpose inside me. Thx!
Hannah84

Post by Hannah84 »

Gosh, that's awful - I'm really sorry for your husband's terrible experience.

To anyone who has been scared by that initial post: my experience was very different. No general, no local, a bit of discomfort but it was more embarrassing than anything.
It was few years ago now, but I don't remember pain at all. It was over very quickly. I'm so glad I knew nothing about the removal, and hadn't read or heard of any horror stories, it would've scared me silly. The good old internet eh, horror stories galore.
Please don't fret over removing your stent, it shouldn't involve complications. For me (at the time, 19yr old teenage girl) it was awkward, but a quick outpatient procedure, No worries! :) And especially after all of the invasive sh*t you go through during the transplantation process, it won't seem a big deal :) best of luck x
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I can add to the list of men who've had a stent removed, once after each of two transplants, in different UK hospitals without suffering anything more than split-second feeling that made me go, “Ooh!”

I know that everyone, and every situation is different, and things happen so I'm not seeking to dismiss or trivialise anybody's bad experience.

I do wonder whether there's something about 'attitude' in the way that different people experience things. Since this whole kidney adventure started, I decided to try and see it as that – an adventure. Since then I've experienced several procedures that I've seen others describe in negative ways as far as pain is concerned, from mild to very serious. These include:
without general anaesthetic: neck line insertion and removal for haemodialysis (x 2); stent removal (x2); renal biopsy (x3); colonoscopy; gastroscopy.
with GA: CAPD line insertion and removal; kidney transplant (x2).

The only ones that ever caused prolonged discomfort was a few days of constipation after the first transplant, and a severe rash after the second. Perhaps I've just been extremely lucky – though I don't think so. From what I've read and heard, it sounds like it's bad luck to have the really bad experiences. I know it happens – and I really feel for those to whom it's happened.

I don't know whether approaching these things with a sense of curiosity and wonder is something that you can 'choose' to do; I only offer this as a suggestion, and to say that the really bad experience that started this thread is not something I'd use to decide whether or not to have a stent, or any other of these invasive procedures, if the docs (having taken their Hypocratic oath to do no harm) feel that it is necessary, and if after becoming informed, I agree with them.
Zennor

Post by Zennor »

Well this thread brought back memories of six years ago in St Georges .

Many a story was told in the post-transplant clinic waiting area about the upcoming stent removals. Strangely it was only the men who joined in.

So there I am on on a table in the treatment room, bladder is full, a bit nervous. Was introduced to the team - team! How many people does it take? There is only one way in and it looks pretty small to me? Well it was three of them who got down to work including a nurse who said he was the camera operator. I must have been lucky as the boom operator and key grip were off.

Anyway soothing words like 'its only 10mm diameter with the lights' later and off they went. I watched the business end on a nice big screen. Was just like one of those things on the pier where you fail to pick up a cuddle toy. The crocodile clip grabber was trying to catch the end of the tube that were both floating in a weightless void. Then - success the tube was grabbed! Immediate problem was that it was grabbed not at the end but a few cm down. Now I could see that pulling the tube out doubled over might be a bit of an issue for me. My protestations ignored the whole thing was out in a couple seconds and I didn't feel a thing.

All in all a bit of an anti-climax.

I did have the presence of mind to walk back into the waiting room grimacing and holding on tight. Well you have to be supportive to next person.

..and then there is the time in ITU in the early hours when a catholic priest came to give me the last rites.... 'desperately sorry wrong bed, but is there anything else I can do while I am here''

...and the neck line without a local....

Some of my fondest memories.

As has been already said it is attitude that gets you through.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Zennor wrote:…and then there is the time in ITU in the early hours when a catholic priest came to give me the last rites.... 'desperately sorry wrong bed, but is there anything else I can do while I am here''
Beautiful!
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I would argue that maybe we edit the title of this thread? It's unnecessarily alarmist!
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Rik

Post by Rik »

how about ...

UNNECESSARILY ALARMIST TITLE!! ... do not agree to stent removal without general anaesthetic ...
(but don't worry if you are about to have the procedure yourself as no one else who has had this procedure has actually agreed to the description given or it being a fraction as bad ... but I'm sure a bad experience happens once in a while and its a shame this lady's husband had to endure a bad experience this time and contacting PALS of the hospital where it happened should be the next step ... and yours if it were to happen to you)

I could change it if that helps??
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

I WOULD LIKE THIS THREAD TO DIE.

I had a filling on NYE, that took longer and was more uncomfortable than my own stent removal. the fact that the thread creator has just this one post is concerning.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Go on it is not painful at all. Not only did I have my stent removed but at the same time they removed my PD catheter that was so deep I had a 40mm deep (note EEP not long, it was longer) hold under my belly button, all without general, only local. I will admit the PD catheter was very painful while they were digging around getting the cuff and pipe free but I will do almost anything to avoid too many generals. Hey Ho, that was some many months ago and I am doing much better now.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hi

Stent has been removed! I had a little local anaesthetic gel and the nurse got it out . She said because I had cancelled the removal the stent was a little hard to grasp . I did feel something but it wasn't pain .

I feel quite brave and touch now * proud face *

Solo
Rik

Post by Rik »

YEAH!!!!!
glad you are all sorted Solo ... 8)
hope you manicured before the event ... :roll:
just in case hand holding was required!!!!! :wink:
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hi Rik

No hand holding needed....I was in and out before I could say " I need to hold hands " . The only injured part of me was my pride for cancelling the appointment and having to explain my reasons for cancelling. After the proceedure I asked if it was as bad has having my ears pierced .....I replied " nothing like having ears pierced " I'm sure I saw a smug grin on the nurses face