Jonah Lomu RIP

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Chris Wright

Jonah Lomu RIP

Post by Chris Wright »

A great sportsman and by all accounts a real gent.

Renal problems first diagnosed in 1996, focal glomerulonephritis, the same as myself. The big difference is, that he still played devastatingly for the All Backs for some years after!

A TX in 2004, which was put under his rib cage to allow him to continue playing. It failed in 2011.

Has been back on dialysis ever since and died of a heart attack, as presumably, a side effect of that.

Very sad, but left those of us who like rugby with some huge memories.

Chris
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
suz

Re: Jonah Lomu RIP

Post by suz »

A great sportsman, a good man, a life well lived and an inspiration to others with kidney disease. Taken much too soon, will be sadly missed by many.
Suz
Jason1976

Post by Jason1976 »

interestingly, he was fit as a fiddle.. would dialysis cause a heart attack? I always presumed that someone relatively healthy (without any other underlying conditions) could survive on dialysis for a long time.. RIP
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

My dialysis nurse is of the opinion that the flight he had just completed could have played a part in his death. Whatever the cause it's a shock to followers of kidney journey like me :(
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Jason1976 wrote:interestingly, he was fit as a fiddle.. would dialysis cause a heart attack? I always presumed that someone relatively healthy (without any other underlying conditions) could survive on dialysis for a long time.. RIP
http://www.kidneyfund.org/are-you-at-ri ... n_dialysis?

5 years is about average, but that,as you say, includes the elderly and those with other underlying conditions.
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

chrisb wrote:My dialysis nurse is of the opinion that the flight he had just completed could have played a part in his death. Whatever the cause it's a shock to followers of kidney journey like me :(
For anyone who's interested, I'm from nz and they said on the news a few days after he passed that it was a blood clot in lung. Most likely caused by his flight home from Dubai the night before. I got a lot of txts from close family and friends checking I was ok when the news broke, which was really thoughtful. Is a bit scary though, as I'm getting ready for my transplant, just shows anything unexpected really can happen.