Hydration after Transplant

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

MatthewC

Hydration after Transplant

Post by MatthewC »

As a donor, I was told to drink a lot after the operation but I am sure I was generally given to understand that this was for the recovery period. I am positive no-one ever said that I should maintain any sort of increased level permanently. However, logically, if recipients have to drink more permanently, so should a donor surely?

I have recently found that my recipient has a better eGFR than me - I am currently 47 and the best it has been since the op (almost 2 years ago) is 53 (and avergaes 48-ish), whereas he is 52 with a best of 54 (and consistently 50+). Now I know it is not an exact science and very variable but... should I be making an effort to drink more? And how much do people drink as a rule?
SKM23435

Re: Hydration after Transplant

Post by SKM23435 »

I'm curious about this too.

I'm a recipient not a donor. I was told to drink 3 litres immediately post transplant. It's slipped now to nearer 2 litres a day. I tend to drink more on work days (easy availability). I've also bought some 500ml mugs for tea. I'm in clinic on Thursday I will ask again then.

I've just got back from holiday. Being aware in the past that I tend to drink much less when away from home I made a real effort to drink. My poor husband was made to stop at every loo within a ten mile radius of our holiday cottage! I could write a loo guide of the area!

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Grey

Post by Grey »

Had to smile Sue! Anyway my wife donated and now drinks about 2 L daily if not more.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

As a donor I wouldnt be sure, however you should be drinking at least 2tls a day of fluid as that is advised. As a recipient and being on dialysis in the past I managed about 3lts a day easily.

They key for anyone is to stay hydrated, being hydrated is not good. Your pee should be a light straw colour
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Grey

Post by Grey »

3+ L a day !
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

It's no great effort to be fair Grey. My kidney also came from a 'big' lad and I am aware that I owe it to him to keep our friend happy and hydrated. My pee will turn a darker colour quickly of I dont keep up!

Evertyone is different I guess, but I can never understand people who struggle to drink post TX.....I did 12 lts in the first day and they were more than happy with my water and tea(im a Yorkshireman)consumption
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
MatthewC

Post by MatthewC »

Well, I spoke to a transplant nurse this morning and yes, of course, "drink a lot" does apply to donors forever. However, there is no standard of what a "lot" comprises and if you drink too much then it adversely affects your sodium level. Life is a balance , isn't it?

So, I'm on an active programme to drink more water ("a little, often") between now and my next tests in December in order to see if that improves my creatinine level, which she agreed was a bit higher than they would like or expect at this stage. Tea and coffee count but of course both are diuretics and so have the opposite effect to what is desired. Just realized - I forgot to ask about wine and beer but I think I can guess the answer. :(
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Hi Matthew, I had my transplant back in March this, I must admit that I find the fluid intake ok most day, I did ask one of the renal doctors about wine and beer and if I should count it towards my daily intake and they said I should count it, although to make sure I didn't drink too much! :)
Soobee

Post by Soobee »

Hi Matthew,

I have always been told that although tea and coffee are mild diuretics the volume of liquid you take in is far more than the diuretic effect causes you to loose, meaning you still have plenty of liquid left after you have accounted for the 'loss'.

I find this comforting as I drink a lot of tea!
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Soobee,
In principle, diuretics just give the kidneys a bit of encouragement, and you would have to drink a lot of tea to have any meaningful effect. The diuretic effect of coffee is much stronger.
MatthewC

Post by MatthewC »

I had my annual hospital check last this week and asked the neph about this subject, in particular how much fluid I should take daily and whether tea, coffee and beer count. He said that he is happy if I have even just 2 litres per day, and suggested half water/cordial and half tea/coffee, so my 2.5L at about 50:50 seems pretty well OK. As for beer, he said yes it counts, so long as I stay below the 3 units per day level; this to me seems pretty generous and I don't intend to get plastered every other night, but at least I won't worry when I do treat myself to the odd pint (and more than one is VERY rare as I fall asleep!).

Creatinine was down from 140 in June (which was a bit high) to 127 (almost exactly the same as my recipient), but I don't know if this is due to improved long term hydration or the later time of day for the test (i.e. re-hydrated after the night). The neph was (I think) almost envious of my 120/79 BP! :D