Darbepoetin injection

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

braca

Darbepoetin injection

Post by braca »

Have been prescribed Darbepoetin by hospital consultant for anaemia treatment...first batch of 4 injections arrived last week by courier...I then made appointment with my practice nurse at local health centre to have first injection and when I turned up the health centre manager said that they did not do this type of treatment, they did say a fax had been sent by hospital to inform them of myself requireing this treatment, but they still would not give me injection...just wondering if anyone else has had similar type of problem...my own hospital consultant did say that once shown I would be able to do this on my own...
SKM23435

Re: Darbepoetin injection

Post by SKM23435 »

How small minded of your health centre.
It's all down to funding and they are not funded for this, but it would only take 5 minutes to show you what to do.

The district nurses are funded to do this (well ours are. It may depend on your CCG). I was shown by the hospital anaemia nurses. I guess you may need to speak to your consultant. It is easy and once shown you will be able to do it yourself.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

your post made me realise how lucky I am with my GP practice. the practice nurse gave me all my EPO injections until I started HD and it is now injected into my blood via the machine. the nurse also changed the dressings on my unused PD tube for 9 months because I was too much of a wuss to do it myself. it just goes to show the different attitudes :?
braca

Post by braca »

Thanks for reply guy's, I have appointment with consultant tomorrow Thursday and have No doubt issue will be resolved...and as skm23435 says it is probably all down to costs...will keep you informed of outcome,just to let you know I have been on long journey with renal disease as have PKD and eFGR is hovering around the 9/8 mark, and have Fistula in place for when consultant decides I need to start Heamodialysis.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Hopefully you have a good session tomorrow.

I had to self inject for a while after my transplant (both EPO and Clexane/Heparin). Whilst it took a while to get used to (the trick I found was not to think about it too much, just jab it in and get it over with!) it's really quite easy.

Once you've done it once, you'll be away. I found learning to put contacts in far more difficult!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
balib310582

Post by balib310582 »

I agree, I have to give myself these injections fortnightly and it really is nothing, just a small scratch! :)
33 years old
diagnosed with Alports syndrome
started PD dialysis March 2011
joined transplant waiting list March 2011
transplant received 5 Nov 2014
From Aberdeenshire, Scotland, UK :)
braca

Post by braca »

Issue now resolved regarding injection, seen my renal consultant today and he said he would get one of the clinic nurses to show me how to self inject...when getting my normal bloods done the nurse then talked me through it and it really is quite a simple procedure, also have step by step guide to follow that was sent to me along with the injections so are quite confident to have a go myself, roll on two weeks time...

Only downside of todays clinic visit was I was prescribed yet more pills to take, and added to my ever growing list was Furosemide and Sevelamer HCI ( Renagel ) can remember when I only had to take one pill a day for High blood pressure now I'm up to 16 pills a day plus the Darbepoetin injections...Oh the joys of having end stage kidney failure.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Glad you got the support you needed.

As for tablets - yup, welcome to ESRF! Should you get a transplant, it does get better for some, but I'm still on 19 a day... That's less than what I was on at Stage 5!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life