Exercise and dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

SKM23435

Exercise and dialysis

Post by SKM23435 »

I was quite heartened to read Fabrette's thread about cycling while on PD.
I wondered what other exercise people on PD do - or is it so tiring and people feel so grotty on dialysis that exercise is a rarity?
I'm into water sport (dingy sailing) at present, but I'm starting to struggle a bit and I can't see murky pond water and PD catheters going well together.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
wagolynn

Re: Exercise and dialysis

Post by wagolynn »

That adds a whole new dimension to, “come in no 22 your time is up”. :D

I could not see any of the shift I dialyse with, including me, exercising for more than 5mins. Even with the aide of oxygen. :oops:
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

I guess the deafening silence on this subject translates as "go and get a reality check".
I suspect you are all telling me that any energy goes into survival, I won't have energy to do much else.
It's a whole new world ahead of me.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Not really, everyone is different here so I can only comment on how I managed with dialysis and exercise.......

I didn't have the energy to do anything other than go to work and come home. My red blood cell count was so low due to the kidney failure that I was on large amounts of Iron and EPO(both help red blood cell count)

Mine was as low as 5/6 and a healthy count should be 12+. I would suggest to see how you feel once you start dialysis, I remeber posters here cycling to clinic etc. At 32 I went from someone who played football on a Saturday and Sunday for 90 minutes from the age of about 7 up until october 2011 when I ended up in hospital heading for dialysis. With PD I think a gentle (low impact) exercise would be ideal......no weight lifting either ;-)

I do think however tired and out of energy I felt at the time that my natural fitness helped me and also my recovery post transplant. Good luck finding something that fits your energy levels
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Lily123

Post by Lily123 »

Has anyone gone swimming whilst on PD? Any advice??
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Check you are still buoyant... :P

Don’t drink the pool dry ... :P

Sorry about that, I have a twisted sense of humour.

If you have the energy, it is a very good idea, push yourself, but not quit as far as you may have done when you were undiagnosed. In general, the normal rules apply, use it, or lose it. :wink:
Duker5

Post by Duker5 »

Lily123 wrote:Has anyone gone swimming whilst on PD? Any advice??
I would say the main issue would be making sure you keep the exit site where the tube exits the stomach dry, that would be the most difficult thing in a swimming scenario wouldn't it? Due to the pressure of the water when you swim. You'd need a very strong waterproof dressing as you wouldn't want water to get into the site or risk infection from all the other things potentially in the pool that could cause you an infection.
dirverd

Post by dirverd »

It totally depends how you feel. at it's lowest my HB was around 7.

During this time I trained and raced in a 10k. Very slow time compared to my 'fit' time but I ran the whole thing.

I also used to go bike riding. I could ride about 50/60k but where you'll really struggle is hills. It's like someone pulls a plug and you just have nothing

If you run or cycle they suggested I did it dry.

At its peak my HB was 10 but this was after a few months on EPO. I'd try and get them to start you on EPO as soon as your HB to gets to 9.

I wasn't allowed to swim. And definitely no weights.

I was very fit to start with though. It will also help you recover much quicker if you're lucky enough to have a transplant.

Good luck.