Great South Run training plan (for Tibbs)

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

dirverd

Great South Run training plan (for Tibbs)

Post by dirverd »

I spoke to my mate and he says it's difficult to tailor a program to you without meeting you, knowing your age, weight etc.

However, assuming you're in OK shape this would be a good 20 week program to follow. (If this still sounds too much too soon do a 'couch to 5k plan', you can find many of these on the internet) then start this program.

Do all runs slowly and aerobic (ie easy)

You can miss the cross training/gym and use it as a rest day. Although some press ups sits ups will help your core strength.

Don't attempt any faster sessions until 14/15 weeks in. Even then, push slightly, you don't want to injure yourself close to your goal. The aim of your first race is to complete, in your next race you can compete.

If you have a cold, stop completely, get totally better then pick up where you left off. Don't be tempted to add a bit extra to catch up. Just pick up where you left off.

And, obviously, being a kidney patient hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. And let your Dr, Clinic know what your plan is.

Here's a link to the plan:

http://www.runningthroughlife.com/wp-co ... ginner.pdf

Good luck.
Unifluzie

Re: Great South Run training plan (for Tibbs)

Post by Unifluzie »

Drivers,

Thanks for the info on the couch to 5k programme, was looking to start doing something and this I think would be great, coupled with the Zumba classes hopefully it will be start of my fitness returning

Xoxo
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Well I'm 5'10'' and 120Kg, so the couch to 5k will be my start!

I used to do a lot of rugby and a fair amount of reffereeing, but nothing really in the last 5 years, so I'm basically starting from scratch.

Wish me luck... :roll: :lol:
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Unifluzie

Post by Unifluzie »

I hate bloody predictive txt, sorry dirverd!!

I've never been sporty in honesty but now it's all go lol
cazpi

Post by cazpi »

I've been a bit thwarted in my running, due to trouble with my hips and knees. Mentioned it in passing at clinic today (assumed it was unrelated to kidneys) and they immediately did a load of extra bone profile blood tests and I was in X-ray within 15 mins. No Xray results as yet, I've done some short runs recently, but don't want to push it as the hip in particular is very painful.
I'm doing boxing training and lots of situps to stop myself from grinding to a halt.

I know I should swim more, but I have very long hair and it's a nuisance.
Bought a new bicycle yesterday, the old one had reached pretty much unrepairable status, so that'll be a little more exercise.
Jonny B

Post by Jonny B »

26.2 miles on the bike for me this morning. Much better than running as it isn't so stressful on the old joints :)
The triban3 road bike from Decathlon, what a bargain at only £300!
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Tibbs wrote:Well I'm 5'10'' and 120Kg, so the couch to 5k will be my start!

I used to do a lot of rugby and a fair amount of reffereeing, but nothing really in the last 5 years, so I'm basically starting from scratch.

Wish me luck... :roll: :lol:

Take it easy as you have had a massive operation just months ago!

But after watching my brother last year in Sheffield and Portsmouth you will love it. Set up a just giving page and I will sponsor you, nothing like a transplant patient showing the miracle you have inside you!

This year is a little early for me. But me, my donor and my brother will be applying for the great north run next year to raise some cash but also try to get in the papers again and show how living donors work and that you both can do amazing things after the op.....we should try to get a KPG thing going if people are interested? Raise cash for kidney research and also our local KPA's??
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

I highly recommend the Zombies Run couch to 5k programme. I was a total non-runner when I started (15 seconds was about as long as I could run for). Today I completed the C25K programme, and in fact ran for over 7km (I took a wrong turn!) and had run over an hour.

https://www.zombiesrungame.com/
Transplanted 31st July 2012 - Vasculitis survivor
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Well, I've started my couch to 5k programme!

I did the introduction to the Zombies, run 5k last night, which was a brisk walk as I listened to the set up. The progamme took 32 minutes to listen to, and I then needed another 10 minutes or so to get home, so I walked 2.72 miles in about 40 minutes, which wasn't too bad.

Actually running (a bit) today, let's see how I get on. Once I've finished that, I'll move onto diverd's plan.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Well, I'm 4 exercises into my C25K with Zombies.

I'm doing 5k in 45 - 50 minutes which is not too bad, a combination of (mostly) walks and some running.

The programme is upping the running next week (starting tomorrow) and introducing some stratches, so we'll see how I get on!
cazpi

Post by cazpi »

I ran yesterday for the first time in a while. 4 miles in about 45 mins. I've been trying to go for a few days but have been put off by rain. I know, I'm a wimp.
dirverd

Post by dirverd »

I know, this weather is ridiculous.

I've been doing all my training in the gym.

It's driving me crazy.

But I still remind myself that this time last year, training like this wouldn't be an option :D