Holidays, but where to go?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Holidays, but where to go?

Post by JMan »

Hoping at some point this year to go away for a couple of weeks with my partner. She's not too mobile, (can manage short distances) so nowhere hilly. Or at least somewhere near the sea. Or anywhere?
Any ideas for inspiration?
akendall48

Re: Holidays, but where to go?

Post by akendall48 »

Norfolk area is nice ans is flat easy for people with less mobility,

Shropshire where I am but not near the sea (2 hours) from welsh coast.

Lowland of Scorland Gallowway coast, nice area too

Hope you find somewhere to suit the pair of you x
JMan

Post by JMan »

I was looking at the Wells by the Sea dialysis unit, in Norfolk.Which looked nice. I'm the one that needs to sort dialysis ..lol
Shropshire is where my gf lives but if there's somewhere nice to go to:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Chris66

Post by Chris66 »

Great Yarmouth is as flat as a billiard table with plenty to do,im going there whitsun,the norfolk groads are close by and it has a good funfair which my two young kids love. Paignton /Torquay is also nice and the sea front is flat. :)
Diagnosed 2006 at stage 3
ESRF May 2012
APD May /Sept
Home Heamo,AV Fistula
Waiting for that call one day.
Never argue with an idiot,they will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.
wing

Post by wing »

North Norfolk coast is gorgeous and perfect for the dialysis unit in Wells.
There are lots of things to do and see - depending on what you like doing, of course, and I believe the local coastal bus service is good - not that I've ever used it.
Many, many good self-catering cottages to rent in the area (not cheap!) and several nice hotels or pubs with rooms (also not cheap!).
I'd recommend Burnham Market (I can hear the groans of the Norfolk folk from here!!) as a lovely place to stay. It comes in for some stick and is called Chelsea-on-sea by some as it does have a lot of holiday rental cottages and several hooray-Henry's in the pubs, but it is a very pretty village with some nice shops, a good deli, places to eat and it's not too big to walk round.
Boat trips, bird watching (feathered-type!), lovely shops in Holt, Sandringham, fresh sea-food what more could you want.
Enjoy.
Unifluzie

Post by Unifluzie »

Looe in cornwall is very picturesque, it also is only 20miles from plymouth which has a dialysis unit, looe has a nice sandy beach which has parking nearby.
jan4alan

Post by jan4alan »

Shropshire is fun with lots of thngs to do, easy to get around in a car, fantastic restaurants in the south round Ludlow and beautiful scenery. Telford has Ironbridge with brilliant museums which are very disabiliy friendly. I live here as well and think it needs to be recognised for it's good qualities. The dialysis team are very friendly and at Welshpool there is a KPA caravan which is very cheap. There is a haemo unit very close by as well.
JMan

Post by JMan »

jan

Tell me more about the KPA caravan, how does one book it. I haven't driven much since 2004 and my meningitis, so ideally looking for somewhere where there isn't totally reliant on the car. My gf lives in Telford:) lol I do need to get back on the road however..
akendall48

Post by akendall48 »

Chris Felton is the person to book the caravan with but could be already booked. She is on facebook.
JMan

Post by JMan »

Looks nice, but Welshpool looks like
Somehwere you need a car
Quiet hilly.. lol
If I was going on my own I'd be fine but L the gf has MS so walkies on hilly places are a nono:)
Thanks for your comments all:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Why don't you look at St Anne's, Emsworth? Free to West London patients and nominal charge for others. Self catering but one appt suitable for disabled. They advertise in Kidney Life or search on Internet - can arrange dialysis there even if not staying.
JMan

Post by JMan »

Ta, will take a look:)
J