Permacath

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Lorna

Permacath

Post by Lorna »

Hiya, I'm just looking for a bit of advice and I'm sure from past experience, this is the place to get it.

Those of you who know me, know I'm having a lot of problems right now with my new fistula, which has clotted and is irrepairable. I've the worst veins in the world and the vascular people are having problems. I dont want another one in my other arm, they've completely messed up my left arm, which is very painful, partly numb and some days so painful I can hardly move it so doctors are today going to do scans to see if my legs will be suitable.

But in the meantime, I've convinced my renal consultant that the neckline has to go and be replaced by a permacath. He's agreed to this, which has got me thinking. My husband is being tested as a potential live donor so hopefully dialysis won't be dragging on for years and years - therefore can I use the permacath long term until the transplant hopefully goes ahead?

Any advice/ideas would be really appreciated before I drop this one on my consultant, I'd like all the information to hand before I bring up the subject with him.

Thanks very much
x
MandyV

Re: Permacath

Post by MandyV »

Hi Lorna - sorry to hear about the fistula issues ... at my unit they use tessio lines almost as a matter of routine - now I know that many other units are very disapproving of them and they do have heightened risk of infection etc but there are some papers out (from my unit at least) giving complication rates similar to fistula I believe so suggest that you do a search of them - also it has been previously discussed here so a search of the board will give you views from 'the horses mouth' so to speak ....