nephlogist refusing to test for micro-albumin

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

theoldclock

nephlogist refusing to test for micro-albumin

Post by theoldclock »

clinical history:
NON-Diabetic, very healthy 23yo male, kidney ultrasound normal, tested negative for urine protein but no micro-alubumin test was done. previous history of acute isolated Microscopic hematuria (normochromic & normocytic 15 RBC WBC in urine) for 4 months that have disappeared and no remission so far and no previous history of gross hematuria. No Creatinine clearance test was done. blood serum creatinine stable at 0.78mg (no previous history of rising). No UTI or renal tubular cells nor casts found. normal bloodwork, all blood test values normal. no previous history of major illnesses and diseases, no family members with genetic inherited kidney diseases. No present ongoing chronic illness or diseases.

if needed, all detailed lab reports and test values is immediately available on request, please let me know.

awhile back my urine started to become extremely foamy (2 inches thick), after testing negative for protein (Nil) i asked my nephlogist if he can test me for any presence of micro-albumin in urine with the "micro-albumin test", he refuses on grounds that i do not have diabetes and hypertension.

the reason why i wanted to get tested for microalbumin, is because i'm worried that albumin and/or microalbumin is causing the foamy urine which is signaling kidney failure. my GP says that an albumin and protein detection were all already done as a single "protein test" alltogether, and that the results shows zero protein.

urinalysis-
[Protein]: Nill.

he says that because i've never had any diabetes in the past, and don't currently have any diabetes at present, there's no need to test me for micro-albumin in my urine, because i'm not diabetic and my BP is great 135/80 and aside from the disappeared micro-hematuria and that i don't smoke nor take drugs nor drink alcohol, there's nothing else wrong with me, therefore its not possible for me to have microalbumin in urine.

is what he's saying true? that only people who are diabetic or have hypertension have micro-albumin in their urine? and those who aren't do not need an micro-albumin test?

thank you so much for letting me know! thank you so very much!
Thumps

Re: nephlogist refusing to test for micro-albumin

Post by Thumps »

Hi there,

From your earlier thread and this one, it really doesn't seem like there's anything much wrong with you, so I can understand why your GP and nephrologist are unwilling to seek extra tests if they are confident there is no reason to conduct them. There are a number of, er, mechanical reasons why urine can foam, it's not necessarily a bad sign by any means.

However, if you are still concerned you can always ask to speak to another nephrologist, or seek to get the relevant tests done yourself through private channels. Hope you get the reassurance you seek either way. :)
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

Unfortunately, only your doctor will really be able to answer any remaining questions you have about microalbuminia and its detection as none of can really know about your personal circumstances/results-

If you're worried, you might want to ask your doctors about about follow-up tests in a few months to see if anything has changed.

Jen
NoSodium

Post by NoSodium »

Get a urine micro-albumin test like this one:http://www.amazon.com/Roche-Chemstrip-M ... B000AO32ME
In europe they cost less than half. No Idea what thats all about.

Btw. Have you noticed anything else like slightly elevated blood pressure, widened blood vessels, higher libido at times and sodium intake increasing said symptoms?
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

I was just googling foamy urine and there are a few other reasons why you might have this. Maybe google it, make a note of these and take it to your doctor and double check that he has ruled out any of those issues. I'm not sure the micro-albumin test will shed anymore light, your doctor is probably right about that, but it would be worth checking other causes (other than kidney problems / protein) and putting your mind at ease. From what I've read the other issues would cause other symptoms too, so the fact that you're not presenting with other symptoms is probably why your doctor isn't worried.

Sorry if this is a silly question, but does your urine come out at high pressure? Cos that would make it froth up. Check whether the froth disappears fairly quickly or not after you have wee'd. If it does disappear quickly then it might just be the pressure. I have frothy urine due to protein and the froth lingers a long time, like it does when you whisk an egg.

Also... and I'm not a doctor and have no idea if what I'm saying is right or not... I'm wondering if the small amount of blood picked up in your urine was a mild infection, and the frothy urine is the dregs of the infection. But then you say there's no blood present anymore, so I could be completely wrong.

How long have you had foamy urine now? And is it all the time?
Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis (MCGN/MPGN) TYPE 1
Stage 5, nephrotic, hypoalbuminia, proteinurea, hypothyroidism, anemia, vitamin d deficiency
Ramipril, Levothyroxine, Ferrous Gluconate, Alfacalcidol, D3, Domperidone, Amitriptyline
IgAn1976

Post by IgAn1976 »

If you pee direct into the water, it will often bubble and look like froth.
If you pee on the inSIDE of the toilet pan, and the urine is still frothy, then there might be something in it...
However, make sure there are no chemicals/dye's or whatever attached to the pan or in the cistern.

You could always cut the top off a clear 2 ltr bottle and pee in it at such an angle as if pouring a pint :oops: :P and see how it reacts then too.

Please keep us posted and don't let anyone else take the *^$$ unless qualified. :lol: