Now the Suns Out

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

pgt67

Now the Suns Out

Post by pgt67 »

i hope that all you transplantees are slip, slap and slopping your high PF suntan cream on to avoid skin cancer.

I know it should be used all year round but I'd like to bet there are quite a few who dont bother anytime of year!
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Almost 6 months post TX for me, as a\ dedicated sun lover it goes against the grain to use any lotion, let alone factor 50 but I've stocked up on it and have been using since February. I caught the sun a few times in Feb when I forgot to use it. Hurts when I rub my eyes and it's on my face, must stop doing that. Sometimes I forget my hands and I've taken to wearing a cap to protect my balding head.

I'm not as good as some though as I sometimes forget and my job involves working outside. Does anyone know if those with darker skin have any more protection against cancer.

Great this innit, you dodge renal failure and faca cancer
malmorrison

Post by malmorrison »

Hello Kipper,

Think sunsence do a sunblock specifically for the face havent actually tried it yet only gettin decent sun up here in the scottish highlands now so im going to get some next time im at pharmacy. Meantime, I do wear a hat.

hope your doing well.

Regards Malmorrison
wing

Post by wing »

Sun Sense do indeed do an oil free, factor 50, matt formula, invisible tint finish sunscreen.
I was given a tiny free sample of this product by the Dermatology Nurse at an out patient clinic and I've used it ever since.
As a female of the species, I like to wear make up on a daily basis and this product can be used before applying your usual foundation make up.
It's an Australian product - the Aussies being at the forefront of sun safety.
I haven't seen it in supermarkets or Chemists (not that I've looked very hard) and I got mine via Amazon.
Can thoroughly recommend - not cheap but it does last a long while.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Thanks Mal & Wing, just ordered some from Amazon, £10.45 but I get the vat off so £8.89. Apparantly one application a day so that suits me well, I'll just apply in the morning. I was finding the other stuff hurt my eyes, then I would rub making it worse.

Hottest day of the year here apparently, 26 expected, I'll be walking the dog on the beach after work so must make sure I'm oiled up. Can't complain really as I feel great, slight pull around where the stitches were and still no sensation on my right side but I feel great. Funny how it takes 2 years of dialysis and a transplant to make you appreciate what you have.

Wishing you both well, have a good weekend.
malmorrison

Post by malmorrison »

Hello,

Have a great weekend Kipper Jerseys such a nice place been there a couple of years ago when I was on Dialysis( the dark days lol ) hoping to get back sometime next year.

I will have a proper look at the sunsence face lotion dont fancy gettin a lumpo on the end of my nose or indeed anywhere.

got the spf 50 body lotion and it seems to be good and like the face lotion its a once a day except I suppose in the height of summer its best to do 2 times?....

Kind regards and best wishes

malmorrison
Adam

Post by Adam »

Thanks for the pointer. I've ordered some from Amazon. I find most creams/lotions/blocks too heavy and greasy.
July 2008 - transplant - living related donor
April 2005 - dialysis - tunnelled neckline, then CAPD (15 months), then HD (left wrist AV fistula)
January 2004 - diagnosis - IgA Nephropathy
squiggles

Post by squiggles »

For those not already aware, you can get your sun protection on prescription providing the doctor will prescribe.

http://www.cks.nhs.uk/vitiligo/manageme ... sunscreens

I would not advise the uvistat as its quite thick and leaves skin greasy and white even though it states non whitening, similar to sudocrem nappy rash cream :roll: I guess it would be ok in the garden but not when out in public.

I will ask about the sunsence next appointment, thankyou for bringing this topic up.
tommc

Post by tommc »

Yeh I really should have got some sunscreen already. Im burnt. Doh!

Tom
Transplanted 31/05/09

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

My SunSense arrived yesterday - impressed so far, the face one is great, no residue, light and non-greasy, and I even like the tint. The body one was ok too!
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Will be slapping it on today, Birthday garden p!arty BBQ time:) Hehehe!
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
malmorrison

Post by malmorrison »

Have a great garden party JMan

HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HAPPY BIRTHDAY

kind regards malmorrison
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

My Sunsense cream just arrived, just one thing - it is not a one application lasts all day cream, it says re apply frequently on the tube.
sanela

Post by sanela »

I've been using Ultrasun 50+ (also available in SPF 30 and 20) which is a once a day formula but it is a bit more expensive than Sunsense. It is readily available from John Lewis and Waitrose stores and Amazon. The SPF 20 is more gel like while the other two are more creamy but I still find them easy to apply. The trick is to apply a little bit at a time and at least 20 minutes before you go out in the sun. Works wonders in this heat.

Sanela 8)
Walter, 15 september 2009
squiggles

Post by squiggles »

Thumps wrote:My SunSense arrived yesterday - impressed so far, the face one is great, no residue, light and non-greasy, and I even like the tint. The body one was ok too!
I have made up a small tub mixing sunsense and a blob of foundation to tint it but have not tried it yet.