cure ?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Jack

cure ?

Post by Jack »

there is a women here that suposedly cured one of the patients here
she makes herbal medicine

i talkied to guy and he said that it was true and alot of people here know him because he even whent to the netherlands and was told he did not have long to live

there is also this other guy that is now curretly only on two hemos a week

i peresonally have started taking this medicine and im proug to say that im feeling better and my urine has begone to increase becuase recently i wasnt even urinating 50 ml a day but now im around 200 ml

even the nurses here say that the guy was sick and now hes cured but the they dont know how but the guy promised not to say anything to the docter about the medicine since the woman asked her

anyway this is my story until now a lonely teenager on th eisland of aruba where all the other patients are atleast 30 and above
==jack==
Rachel in NY

Hiya

Post by Rachel in NY »

Hiya Jack,

May I ask what it is that you were diagnosed with? What sort of medicine are you taking - this "alternative medicine woman's" stuff or stuff from a real dr.?

I'm sure you do feel lonely... when someone is sick, they feel lonely at any age. However, being young does have its advantages/disadvantes, and feeling REALLY ALONE is one of them. I'm 16 too.. and aside from type 1 diabetes at age 8.5, I was healthy. At 13.5 all this kidney nonsense started. Basically my kidneys had completely failed by the time it was "realized", so I started hemodialsysi a few days later. Anyway.. yes, I was the only "child" in the dialysis unit. I know there are support groups all over the place, where you can meet and get to know people with similar illnesses and simlar age - but I never really got to that. I mean hey - if you're too sick to go to school and socialize there - you can't exactly go tramping to support groups right?

But anyway - you should look into it if there is something like that in your area. Its something you might want to do. I'm sure there are other patients your age.. but you're not going to bump into them in your day to day life. If there isn't a support group - you may even want to start one.

This board and chat has been a HUGE help to me. And hopefully will be for you too. As much as I DON'T want anyone else to be ill, its comforting to know how many of us are out there. You're the 1st poster from Aruba.. although we've got lots in the UK, America, Scotland, and even more places. I'm 16, another Rachael on this board (who's mum is Elaine) is also 16, Andrea/Andy is 18, and there are some others around our age group. You'll see though, that when it comes to posting on this board, age doesnt really matter. The point is we are all in the same boat - either a patient or career to one, and we more or less know what the other person is going through. THere's an awful lot of support here should you want/need it.

I wish you lots of luck, and would love to hear more about this alternative medicine stuff you have mentioned. Welcome to the board!

Cheers!

Rachel ps Aruba... ahhhh.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Interesting post Jack.. Aruba is a Carribean Island BTW (I had to look this up as my geography is somewhat lacking.)

I would be exceedingly cautious about any herbal medcine used in conjunction with renal problems..

While herbal medicine may provide symtomatic change (such as increased urine) it may not solve the problem in the long run.. There are MANY herbs that can affect the kidneys in the same way that drugs can, both tea and dandelions have a know diuretic effect so would increase your urine output. Both are herbs in the strictest sense.

There are many others..I personally would only seek herbal advice from a medically qualified herbalist in conjunction with my renal doctor.. As it is I prefer less directly interactive forms of complimentary therapies.

That said.. Renal medicine is a relativly crude affair. if there is some use in the herbs then possibly they contain an active ingredient that medical science has not yet discovered/plundered.

as to being alone.. yes we are all alone in the universe.. that is part of individuality.. Both a blessing and a curse.

Rachel has wise advice.. and you are not alone in the sense that we are all here posting as well. I myself had had 3 transplants and experienced both CAPD and haemodialysis.

Welcome...
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Jack

Post by Jack »

i have no idea what i was diagnosed with but i do remeber that they said that my kidneys "shrunk" and that it should of happened in the long run but the dictor doesnt know what aused it he thinks some sort of disease maybe or hypertension since my bloodpressure was high and it took alot of medicine to lower it but i dont rhink it was hypertension because i had alot of checkups and test before this and my blood pressure was normal befor this
==jack==
Andy

Post by Andy »

Rachel- I have to say that was a really thought ful reply and I always enjoy reading what you have to say. You truly are an inspiration to me and youe enthusiasm is wonderful.
keep smiling
Andy
Pam

Post by Pam »

Hi Jack,
I just want you to know that you are not alone...when I began dialysis some 30 yrs ago, I too was probably the only one under the age of 50! :wink: I have to say that since the invention of the Internet, it has certainly made things easier for those of us who happen to have had severe illness come into our lives. You are able to access support at the click of a mouse.
When I began dialysis there were few support groups, if any and if you happened to be on the "fringe" (such as being a child) even less so. You have to consider yourself fortunate to live in such a time when technology has made it possible to have a board like this.
As for the "herbal" stuff, you might end up with more problems than you bargained for. Consider the side effects of mau haung (in diet preps) for one. It can stop your heart. Best to stick to the things that are proven until more research is done. Besides, with poor kidney function, you are less able to rid your body of these substances.
JMan said we are all alone...I know I will probably get told about this, but we aren't. God in His Divine mercy is with us every step of the way and He holds our very lives in His Hands. There are so many times I have been so close to death I could feel it next to me. If it were not for God, I would have been gone from this earth a very long time ago. I have to disagree with the statement that we are all alone in the universe. If I could name one thing that this illness has caused that is good, I'd have to say that it is the closeness of the Lord next to me. This is not only what I believe, but is what I know is true.
Keep posting on the board...we are all here to help!
:) -Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
eliznew412

Post by eliznew412 »

I don't think we are alone either but ironically I reckon the reason why I picked up on that is because of some sincere teaching & love in childhood from people- so I can always draw on that and remind myself.

I have to say inspite of all the modern teaching methods we seem to have gone full circle from liberal methods of find your own way, learn at your own pace & work creatively to a kind of overtested regimented pressurised teaching methods in schools and I reckon it affects young people sense of worth and hope. Also I think sincerity can be squashed or ripped out of teachers so that they are made to teach subjects in a vacuous mode - here's the facts kids, your alone in universe have fun. Generally I'm sure kids do have fun inspite of pressures but if your the different kid the are we alone in the universe question matters a lot more and I think most of us chicken out of that question, partly for fear of political correctness.

I can identify with feeling alien when I was at school though - it only took my mother arriving anxiously one day with a teaspoon of jam in hand and an antibiotic tablet. That started it! ..the gossip, rumours - gazing at me in the changing rooms in case I was alien. Hopefully these days there is more education to explain to a class if necessary.

I'd agree this noticeboard is great esape from isolation and normalisation of a situation that isn't, lets face normal - not even for 'us'. But at least it grounds it as we own up to how we really feel and how people really cope, whatever age.

Have you tried the NKF young person's chat http://www.kidney.org.uk/cgi-bin/kidney ... discus.cgi Also I think the idea of starting your own group if you haven't got one, maybe also getting creative, writing about how you feel. As I young person I recall being much more anxious about being normal, belonging to a peer group. Up to the age of 14 I'd have done anything for my mother, after that it was a matter of stumbling steps towards developing individuality, challenging or questioning the way people treated me and trying to fit in. Getting creative in explaining how you feel will help those willing to get alongside you to do so.

For what its worth I sincerely don't think we are alone in the universe. I get very cross with God sometimes and when I've chewed things over and calmed down its amazing how I start to get positive again and think of some things that I can do for example to feel less isolated. Currenlty its how do I get another job. Being different can be beneficial - we tend to be stronger characters, more creative and adaptable. I'm still learning this at 52. Don't let anyone make you feel you aren't special - you are and very valuable. I'd be open to any special undertaking from God but I'd agree with not taking herbs.