Home Sweet Home..........

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

BusyBee

Home Sweet Home..........

Post by BusyBee »

well folks, woke up had a shower at 6am Tuesday 1st July, after waiting for a bed 6 hours on Monday! My Dad went down at 9.am and I followed 2 hours later at 11am. All I can remember was this wonderful man with such a lovely assent talking to me........... The next thing I asked the time is was 7.30pm and lots of people around my bed!! Dad was wheeled past me at 11.15pm I waved and blew him a kiss....... he was taken back to the ward. I arrived back in High Dependancy Ward at 12.15am with my family waiting for me. Apparently I looked wide eyed and happy.

Dad was discharged on Saturday, and I was due to come home on Monday - less than a week later, but had a high temp so they kept me in overnight, which I really felt I needed, as I was just starting to walk about.

I packed my bags and medication (tons and tons of boxes) last night and arrived back to parents house.

First day at home - slept most of the day!! But I feel great totally unbelieveable........ Dad is up and walking about no painkillers and My new life 'GEORGE' is working perfect.

All staff on ward were truelly professional, which makes all the difference.

Take care
Mel and George xxxx
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Hi Mel

Welcome to the post transplant roller coaster - hold on tight :)

I remember your posts here, over the past couple of years. You've had a fair old time of it! Good luck with everything now.

Best

Andy
helenb

Post by helenb »

wow thats quick for you getting out!! great that your doing so well and your dad :D
JB

Post by JB »

Congratulations and love to George!! Glad it all went so well, have been thinking of you. Glad also that your dad seems to feel better so quickly too, this is one of my main worries with my husband Scott that he will suffer for a long time afterwards, so gives me hope.
Lets hope that if you are now on the rollercoaster that its only a kiddies one and there arent too many ups, downs and loop the loops!!
Keep us all updated and look after yourself.

Jacqui xoxo
Helen Rambaut

Mel

Post by Helen Rambaut »

So delighted to hear you are out and both of you doing well.

Helen
BusyBee

Post by BusyBee »

Hi folks............Who said about this roller coaster????

I came home a week after transplant - Came home for 3 days and I was leaking really bad from my wound....yuk!! Surgeon had to re-open wound.....Had a vac-pump attached to me.........well I've had 3 actually as the first 2 were faulty!! All is well..... home for 9 days just had breakfast and taking morning medication and the phone goes!! Its the hospital - I need to go back in asap - they told me internal bleeding and I was very low blood count hg down to 6. I felt avery tired in clinic the previous day.... Go back the nearly 2 hour drive. Got there at 1pm get a bed at 5pm....go down for a scan at 9pm nothing more really said. Then just after mid-night i get woken up say that they now going to give me a blood transfusion at 1am....one unit and 2 hours later unit number 2. Finish at 5am bearing in mind been awake all night as they check BP every 15mins I drift off to sleep to be woken up at 6.30am for bloods. Lots of comings and goings all day, and at 7.15pm they start blood unit 3...then the last number 4...finish at midnight...........Zzzzzzzzzz sleep sleep......... Sunday feel WOW!! GREAT!! FAB!!! my sister comes in and helps me shower and wash my hair - I declare I feel a new woman!! especially as she brought my straighters in LOL.
wake up 4am Sunday morning on all fours crawling got sever pain in my right leg, I was ready to chop it off - transplant wasn't this painful!! Go for yet another scan and yes I got DVT - Deep Vein Thrombosis - went straight on warfarin sunday night.........get moved to a complete different ward Tuesday as I no longer kidney related. Slightly fed up as I made a great number of friends in the transplant ward, and I cant walk back to see them. So I am in this posh room all to myself with a bathroom to die for - but would rather go back to the unit. I was discharged early Thursday night with all my meds......I now on 42 tablets a day!! well obviously not all at once! LOL
Still in a lot of pain, but getting my independance back - I can now shower by myself - which is a great feeling!!
My truly remarkable Dad is just Dad - he not taken any pain killers and has the most beautiful scar he gone out tonight for his first well deserved drink!!
Take care all
Mel x
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

:roll: :roll:
WOW thats not a rollercoaster its White Knuckle ride
Take Care

Chris
Sue

CRIKEY

Post by Sue »

That sure is a real introduction to the roller coaster. Hope you are feeling better soon, its so difficult at times but we get there in the end.

Glad Dad is doing well.

Take it easy and don't try doing too much. By the way the tablets reduce in number dramatically in a short period.

Thinking of you and sending hugs

Sue xx
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

Hi Mel,

You have had a rough start! It should get better soon and you will treasure
your future wellbeing.
I only had transplant diabetes (to try and stabilize) and anemia to deal with, in the beginning. 7 mo. after transplant , I'm finally done with EPO, I hope!

Good luck to you!..and to George!
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Gosh - it is amazing how quickly you can go from feeling euphoric to realising its the proverbial marathon not a sprint ... still I do hope George is behaving himself and things quieten down now.

I also had a few blood transfusions post tx .. the best was when they had to interrupt one for some reason and the nurse did not tie it off properly ... it looked like the Texas chain saw massacre in my room .. strangely enough it didn't bother me as it was not my blood, though I did feel it was a bit of a waste.
cindywoolley

Post by cindywoolley »

Hi Mel

Sorry to hear of your recent troubles but hope that you and George are now feeling a little better. Have been thinking of you and your Dad and am so pleased to hear that he is doing so well and I am sure that in time you will be too.

Love Cindy
BusyBee

Post by BusyBee »

Hi all

Not been on forum for ages as I have been back into hospital and not to mention clinic's!!!!

Just wanted to have a mini tiny rant!! (not all gloomy news) Just to update and ask a few questions ........ George is 100% well and healthy :D

Had a long day at clinic yesterday, loads of scans and tests. As previous week I had to stop co-trimoxazole due to liver fuction. Confirmed yesterday got CMV virus. It's been explained to me in great detail, felt pleased I had something wrong and it wasn't just me feeling lousy!! As I am on warfarin I got to stop taking that straight away and inject myself my with clexane in preparation for my hospial stay on Monday for CMV. Also Azathioprine was stopped yesterday. Ward hope to train me to do my own meds through a neckline. (not had one of those before - only when I had transplant, but I really don't remember too much about that).

Does anyone know how long treatment is for CMV?? Its just one question I didn't ask, after taking all this information in.

Also, I am well over due in having my stent removed. I did mention this and they hope to arrange this while I back on the ward. Can anyone tell me what this involves?

General update. My wound completely healed after having the vac-pump for a few weeks, in fact it over granulated and had to have silver nitrate dressings to bring it back down!! The final scab came off on Wednesday, I still have no feeling on the left side of tummy.

Any advise really?

Take care
Mel x
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I had a very mild bout of CMV. Didn't really notice much - perhaps felt a little flat, and had a bit of a dodgy tum, but don't know what caused that. I was put on a course of the drug 'Valgancyclovir' - which was absolutely fine, and the CMV went away.

One thing which happened which I wish I'd been a bit more pushy about at the time, was that my MMF dose was stopped for a while so that my own immune system could get a bit stronger to fight the CMV. However, this stoppage seemed to go on for a bit longer than necessary, and - *possibly* as a result - I had a small rejection episode.
Helen Rambaut

CMV

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Post transplant treatment protocol at my hospital appears to be a standard 3mths on Valganciclovir.

My donor was CMV +ve and when it resurfaced I was put back on Valganciclovir. Now off it again and last test showed I was still clear.

I am on "tacro only" immunosuppressant regime.

Helen
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Just a quick note about the stent - it is a very quick process done under LA and a bit like having a smear done - I found it mometarily very uncomfortable but like I say it was very quick and the only thing which took time was drinking enough to pee twice before I was allowed home. Probably more painful for the boys.