Stopped Smoking - Yeah!!!!!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

marier

Stopped Smoking - Yeah!!!!!

Post by marier »

I smoked from the age of 14 and had my 52nd birthday last month so that's an awful lot of cigs I have smoked during my time. I didnt want to stop, but forced myself to because of the added risk etc. etc. and I have actually done it! I had my last cig on 8th August so that makes it 3 months today. I feel really good about myself too and now regret smoking for all those years. So anyone out there who is still struggling to quit - get some help, be firm with yourself and remember if I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT TOO! Good luck. :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hey,

Thats great :D I know how hard it is to give up having smoked myself. The risk from renal failure on your other organs is increased anyway.

well done :D

Mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Congratulations! :)

Wish I could convince my non kidney patient friend to quit, but my BD party intended for next is is gonna be no smoking:) Bit of an insentive for him.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
TJ

Post by TJ »

Well done Marier. How did you do it?. My Dad has tried so many times to give up but always ends up back on the dreaded things and now has a chronic smokers chest to contend with. Good on you !! Here's to many cigarette free months.
Pam

Post by Pam »

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
That is a long time to smoke, but your lungs and other organs can begin to repair themselves in just a few days after quitting, so you are doing great! I am sooooo happy for you! My landlady smokes like a chimney and after three heart bypasses, you'd think she would have gotten the message by now....! :roll:
Here in Illinois (and many other states) there is a big debate going on about a ban on smoking in public places like restaurants, bars, etc. and it has gone through in our city and a lot of other places around the state...thank goodness! I never did understand how you could be in the same room and there would be a "Smoking" and Non-Smoking" section! The smokers are putting up a big stink about it (pun intended) but I think nowdays there are more and more non-smokers who just won't put up with someone blowing smoke in their faces while they are trying to eat. I can remember when it was considered okay to smoke in a hospital room(and I have been in a few where my roomie was doing just that! :? )-now, smokers have to be off hospital property if they want to light up.
I am sure that it must have taken a tremendous effort on your part to stop smoking and I for one applaud your determination and good sense!!!
Best wishes!
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
~G~

Post by ~G~ »

NY has smoking bans all over the place and I must say KUDOS!! I didn't realize how good I had it till I travelled to europe recently, and there were people smoking all over the place. Every shop stank from stale smoke, people were exhaling puffs of stink constantly, you just couldn't escape from it. I am an asthmatic and that made for some interesting moments.

In NY - at least you know that there will be no smoking indoors in most places. You go shopping, you won't be assaulted by smoke. You enjoy a meal in a resteraunt, and you don't get disgusted from a man or woman smoking at the next table.

I saw a wonderful billboard in Manhattan the other day. It had a picture of a little girl.. and it said "I have my mommy's eyes.. and my daddy's lungs". It was a billboard aimed at publicizing the dangers of second hand smoke.

To those who smoke, great. You're allowed to. You're in control of your own self. However, imposing it upon others is what I frown upon.

That said, Marier - SUPERB!!! That is big stuff! While I'm not a smoker myself, I do understand the power of 'addictions'. If someone tells me I have to give up my coffee, I'll tell that person to go to hell. And Smoking is far more addictive then coffee... so I realize it was a big deal for you to do. Keep it up!! :)

-G
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

Congrats :D I quit smoking myself a few months ago I know how hard it is . I know what a constant battle it is for the first few months. Keep up the good work.
Elaine

well done stop smoking

Post by Elaine »

Well done to all those stopping smoking.

Have to say my main pet hate having been brought up in a MEGA smokey environment yukk! :cry: no wonder always had bad chesty cough as a child etc. Even being anywhere near smoke etc makes me feel ill. Roll on next year when Uk clamps down on no smoking yeyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Good to hear G that New York take no smoking so seriously wish Uk would follow asap!

best wishes Elaine :D
nickp

Post by nickp »

Well done on giving up. :)

One of the nurses at the unit always smells of cig smoke and smokes during his breaks. Really hate the smell. :(

Nickp.
squiggles

Post by squiggles »

Well done hun thats great news :D