Realistic recovery period??

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

christineDC

Realistic recovery period??

Post by christineDC »

It looks like I have a date for a transplant...my wonderful aunt who is so completely unfazed about this...Transplant is set for 9/21. Of course I have been down this road before (nearly a year ago) so I am keeping my fingers crossed and not counting on anything!!!

What do you think is a realistic recovery period? The reason I ask is that I am about to be offered my 'dream job". They are willing to wait but I need to be realistic about what I tell them. IT is very much a desk job with little travel.

thoughts?

thanks ya'll!

Cheryl CT - where the heck have you been???
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Hi Christine,

Congratulations on your upcoming transplant. You know that all on the board will be sending both you and your Aunt prayers and positive thoughts.

A difficult question to answer, as I'm sure you know, because everyone is different. Some sail through the post transplant period while others have a few hiccups along the way. That being said, the first thing that pops to mind is driving. Usually you are ordered not to drive for six weeks. So if you have to drive to your new job that might be a problem. Remember you will have new connections to artery, vein and ureter and want to make sure those are well healed. I think six weeks is the time frame that most surgeons use before they declare you fit for work. If all is well and you are not going to be doing anything physically demanding then you may be released earlier. I would suggest that you ask either the surgeon or coordinator what the general policy is. Again, because each surgeon and facility is different.

Sorry I cannot be more specific.

Best Wishes,

Anne
bluemoon

Post by bluemoon »

It is a difficult question because I dont think it can be predicted. I was driving after about a month. Driving is sitting down after all so I felt OK with that. But I didnt feel 100% for about six months, But take heart: Two years post transplant. I feel great
:D
Jim
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

If everything goes smoothly then 1 - 2 months post transplant realistic. Could be more could be less, its unpredictable.

Driving is a problem because you place pressure over the kidney with seatbelts etc. (not good if you have to stop suddenly) and any lifting is not recommended immediatly post transplant either.. However if its your dream job and youa re qualified then go for it.. If you have to take time off then so be it, (no different to getting a job and taking time off to have a baby IMO) both are neccessities to life under the circumstances.
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast