off and running

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bruce

off and running

Post by Bruce »

Here we go everybody. I finished my CAPD training and I'm on my 4 times a day routine. The hardest part is figuring out when I'm finished draining due to my poor eyesight. And where is one supposed to put those mountains of cartons of dialysate? And remembring to put another bag of solution in to warm is another problem. Well, I guess I'll get the hang of it eventually. It beats the alternative. Peace.
wing

Post by wing »

Well done bruce.
You do get used to it.
I can often "feel" more than see when the draining out has finished as I get a bit of a pulling feeling in my abdominal area.
The other tip the nurse gave me, is to feel the heat from the drain out tube - if it's going cool/cold - you've finished!
As for the mountain of kit you need - I cleared out a fiited wardrobe and cupboard and have that purely for the day to day kit. The bulk of the boxes I store on shelving in my garage and wheel them up on a trolley once a week to stock up, but it depends on how much space you have.
I think the key is to get organised so that it's not too much of an effort to access what you need but also to have it stored in such a way that it's not staring at you in every room in the house!!
I'm glad it's going well for you.
Best wishes.
Bruce

off and running

Post by Bruce »

Wing--
Thanks for the comeback. Any information I can get is helpful. Unfortunately, I don't feel the "pain on drain" some people get, so I wind up draining longer than I need to just to make sure I've got it all. I guess I'll figure it out with practice--this is only day 2. I'll figure out the storage problem eventually.
Thanks. Bruce
wing

Post by wing »

There's room in my garage if you're stuck!!!!
It's a long way from G.B. to U.S.A. though when you need another box!!
debbie

Post by debbie »

I very rarely felt drain pain so just kept feeling the tube while it was draining until it felt cold, then I knew there was no more left to drain. Don't know if that will help.... must be 8 yrs since I've done pd now!!!
R30

Draining Out

Post by R30 »

Hi Bruce,
Personally, if I don't get the drain pain (which I do most times but didn't when I first started), then I stand the drain bag up (holding by the tube) and look to see if I'm still draining out. If it's just a dribble I stop. Best way I know of to check as you can actually see whether fluid is still pouring in.
Cheers
Ruth