Post op nausea - meds for renal patients

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

eliznew412

Post op nausea - meds for renal patients

Post by eliznew412 »

Ive had an op on my thumb, 45min anaesthetic. however 4 days later I am still tired and frequently nauseous. I was told there was reluctance to give meds to counteract this so have been soldiering on depressed and nauseous. Having had a rough time in the workplace, only getting SSP and all care support from my son and no cards from family, friends or colleagues its made me feel negative about futre RRT and a burden on my son. Its seems ridiculous to deny a renal patient anti nausea tabs and let them get so low in mood. Unfortunately it slowly all adds up over time to feeling unsupported and unwanted.
Tibbs

Re: Post op nausea - meds for renal patients

Post by Tibbs »

Have you asked them to ring your renal team for advice? (Or could you do it and speak to someone?) I'm sure there's something they can give you. I spent some time in hospital away from my renal centre and made them run everything past the duty reg at HH.

I'm sorry people aren't rallying round for you - I hope they sort your nausea so you can get back on an even keel soon.

As folk remedies, I've found chewing ginger (even ginger biscuits!) helped me, as did drinking Coke (Diet or Full fat doesn't seem to matter which) some prefer to let it go flat first, but it didn't seem to matter for me. Just be careful re: Phosphate levels when drinking coke.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
jbell

Re: Post op nausea - meds for renal patients

Post by jbell »

Hi sorry you are feeling down. I am surprised they arent giving you anything for your nausea, I have medication to stop me feeling sick (due to a stomach problem) and there was no problem having them prescribed. If you are slipping into a depression then you really need to talk to your dr about it, maybe they can help. I would hope your son does not feel you are a burden. I did worry about this myself, I have gone blind, kidney disease and other health problems and my husband has to do such a lot for me I feel really bad about it. But I have found that so long as I encourage him to do lots of things that unfortunately I cannot do, we seem to have a balance, he has his life to get on with and doesnt seem to be resentfull of helping me. You are not a burden you are part of your sons life and I would hope he is happy to have you in his life no matter the circumstances. I hope you feel better soon .
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12