Pregnancy and fertility

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Kaylee4187

Pregnancy and fertility

Post by Kaylee4187 »

Hi guys im new to the forum just wondering if you could give me some advice im 26 and had my kidney transplant 5 years me and my partner have decided to try for a baby, I have been to the pre councilling sessions which i found usefull and my consultant has changed my transplant medications so we are all ready to go! Can any of you give me any advice, tips or tell me how your experiences went?
AmandaClare

Re: Pregnancy and fertility

Post by AmandaClare »

Hi Kaylee, I don't have anything to add to what I've posted on the other thread but just want to say best of luck.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hi- No experiences (yet) as I have just changed drugs from MMF to Azathioprine and we are waiting until the 6 weeks suggested wait has passed. Kidney function has been blipping up and down since the changeover, so we might wait until we know for sure that things have settled down ok. Then I need to have a LEETZ procedure as I am having issues with pre-cancerous cervical changes, and have been advised to wait until I have at least 1 more normal smear aferwards, so it may be a while before we can even begin!

I am kind of expecting to have problems to be honest. We have a history of PCOS in our family, plus I am 35... not over the hill but certainly reaching 'that age'!
Kaylee4187

Post by Kaylee4187 »

Hi jenjen i changed my meds last november from rapamune to prograf and azathioprine and was given the ok in january at my leicester clinic to start trying as my bloods were stable. This month i have had my prograf changed though to adoport which i believe is happening to all prograf patients there. So am having to have my renal function monitored again.
Would you mind keeping in touch and letting me know how you get on ?
Starkeys

Post by Starkeys »

Hi There, I am new to the site but find the forums so helpful and reassuring - so thank you to everyone for your contributions.
I am the wife of a kidney patient - my husband is 35, diabetic on APD awaiting a double kidney and pancreas transplsnt. We got married in May2014 and like most couples now want to start our own family. We have been trying without my joy and was told by my husbands low clearance consultant that children would not be an issue, however nothing is happening and I am wondering if the related to the renal failure and if so, what can we do about it. I am 29, in reasonably good health and kept busy caring for my lovely husband - so generally well and given the all clear with the go.
Any tips, advice anyone can offer would be appreciated.
X
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I don't know much about how kidney failure affects male fertility. I just wanted to say that if you started trying after you got married in May, you haven't been trying all that long. I know it seems ages when you're full of hope every month, only to be disappointed... been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Generally a young, healthy woman has to try for a year before the NHS gets involved. However if you're concerned you might be able to get first-round testing earlier than most couples, given hubby's health issues.

Very best of luck and I hope hubby gets that transplant soon.

xx
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010