Immuno suppressants and teeth

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Andy

Immuno suppressants and teeth

Post by Andy »

Do immuno suppressants affect your teeth? I know that they affect your gums... but im just not to sure about teeth.?

Andrea
x x x
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
R30

Post by R30 »

Hi Andy

Just read your post. I didn't know that immunosuppression tablets affected your gums (or you teeth for that matter). Out of interest, how do they affect your gums?

Take care Andy.

Ruth
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Some immunosuppression can affect some peoples gums by causing swelling & or bleeding ( gum disease or gingivitis).

The Novartis site TalkTransplant lists the side effects of some of the drugs, Cyclosporin is noted for sometimes causing "swelling or overgrowth of the gums".
http://www.talktransplant.com/Kidney/Me ... tions.aspx

Some drugs can affect developing teeth (eg permanent staining and suchlike). Other than that I've not heard of any direct problems from transplant meds. Its worth remembering though that you are at a higher risk of infections because of them & this includes tooth & gum issues.

However following the advice of a good dental hygeinist usually prevents any major problems. (Eg brushing at least twice a day, regular flossing and eating or drinking sensibly.)..

If in doubt, consult your renal peeps &/or your dentist.

HTH
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Andy

Post by Andy »

The reason why i ask is that, im 19 i had my one and only filling at 15, I went to the dentist the other day (a new dentist) who told me i need 8 fillings. I last saw the dentist about 8 months ago. It just doesnt seem to make sense. The only thing i could put it down to would be my immuno suppressants...

www.lltgl.org.uk
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Or your old dentist missing stuff, or your new dentist cashing in on needless fillings???

I don't have an answer really and I'm getting suspiscious & cynical in my old age but if ya look after your teeth then the sudden need for 8 fillings IS odd, I agree..

I'm under 30 and have had 3 transplants worth of immune suppression FWIW with no fillings so... ??? Anyone????

J
R30

Post by R30 »

Andy

I'm inclined to agree with JMan here - that sounds VERY odd. I can't imagine that in 8 months, your mouth has gone from a healthy state to one of such deterioration. Sounds like a cash-in to me.

My sis recently had the same experience. She was told by a new dentist in Nottingham that she had suffered early childhood trauma to her teeth and would need over £1000 worth of treatment (privately you understand). Like me, she is very cynical about this sort of thing, and registered at another dentist - who told her that there was no evidence of trauma and that the proposed treatment was totally unnecessary. :evil:

I would definitely seek a second opinion before you agree to this treatment.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh, but I would hate to think of you being put through this just to line someone's pocket.

Let us know what happens.

Ruth
Art from Ontario

DENTAL RIP OFF

Post by Art from Ontario »

Hi Andy:
I agree with JMan & Ruth...the dentist sees a young person
and thinks money...money

get a diffeent dentist
Rachel in NY

Post by Rachel in NY »

hiya andy,

i agree with everyone. lol. find another dentist. however, if another dentist confirms it, then you know what you need to do.

i don't know if immunosuppressants cause tooth deterioratioin, but i can tell you what does. when you are hospitalized a long time, which you were, they aren't so on top of cleaning your teeth, and teeth can really deteriorate at that time. however, you usually don't know till years later. i'm saying that a year of bad tooth care and issues can make your teeth prone to cavities years later.

my sister had braces on her teeth twice, and for so many years. she had no cavities then, but only recently (and she REALLY cleans her teeth well now) got heaps of cavities. so her dentist (the 2nd one btw) said that all those years with braces and she wasn't so careful and stuff, it catches up to you now.

but i'm hoping your dr. is a silly prat who doesn't know how to read an x-ray and your new dentist will tell you your sparkling white teeth are free of any cavities!!!
Image Image

"When life keeps giving you lemons, get to work and make a tall frosted pitcher of icy cold lemonade."
Andy

Re: Immuno suppressants and teeth

Post by Andy »

Looking through old posts as I have been to the dentist again recently and had to have a heap more fillings. i am convinced that I don't take that bad care of my teeth.
And am sure thought is either down to my meds or the fact that for a good couple of months my teeth weren't cleaned to my standard as I was unable to do so.
I am aware that I do need to change a couple of habits.

www.lltgl.org.uk
Kipper

Re: Immuno suppressants and teeth

Post by Kipper »

My gums bleed when I brush my teeth and they didn't before the tx, I never made the connection.
Dentists are expensive here, a half hour hygeniest visit costs £50 and a filling is the best part of £200, no dental care on the NHS unfortunately and the dental service is more about cash extraction than dental care.