suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

hansi

Re: suggestion... how about introducing ourselves??

Post by hansi »

Thank you.
hansi

Post by hansi »

Just got the results of my latest blood test. Creatinine 222 umol/l, eGFR 25L/min/1.73m2, Sodium 141 mmol, Potassium 5.6 mmol. Consultant bit concerned about creatinine level and told me to cut out all added salt. Other than that, I feel very well.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi hansi,
If you eliminate all added salt, both at the table and while cooking, after a short while you will find it easy, and begin to wonder why you spoiled food by adding so much salt.

I assume you know about the so called low salt products, generally they are not allowed for people with kidney conditions, most are sodium phosphate, and of course we need to be limiting our phosphate intake.

I found black pepper is a good substitute for salt, along with some experimentation with herbs.

Look out for prepared foods, these are usually loaded with salt.
hansi

Post by hansi »

wagolynn wrote:Hi hansi,
If you eliminate all added salt, both at the table and while cooking, after a short while you will find it easy, and begin to wonder why you spoiled food by adding so much salt.

I assume you know about the so called low salt products, generally they are not allowed for people with kidney conditions, most are sodium phosphate, and of course we need to be limiting our phosphate intake.

I found black pepper is a good substitute for salt, along with some experimentation with herbs.

Look out for prepared foods, these are usually loaded with salt.
Thanks. I'll try that.
Linda68

Post by Linda68 »

Hiya I am new here,I have did stage 5 which has happened over years due to reflux and infections. I have great family support but do not want them worrying more so I'm am on here looking for help.

I have been getting deep dips in my mood my gfr dropped to 12 and I have problems walking due to muscle waste after having sepsis twice an having to be in intensive care.my weight has dropped considerably an she to problems with my bladder I have been told my condition is complicated.

I would be interested if other ckd patients have these major dips of mood an dealing with this condition.

Thankyou
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Linda68,
Welcome to the forum.

Dips in mood are common with kidney failure, along with weakening of muscles.

I would think you are not far away from Dialysis, once your body adjusts to dialysis (1 to 2 months) you may well find an improvement in wellbeing.

If you look on the KPG home page you will find lots of information there that can be trusted. https://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/

Have a look, and if it triggers off more questions, post them, and sure someone will try to help you.

Best wishes.