Being sick

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Rachael Turner

Being sick

Post by Rachael Turner »

Hi. I had a live donor transplant on 30.04.12 - and everything is going really well, even got signed off from the surgical team back to the medical team today. However, on the 29th June, and last night, I suffered really bad vomiting (my god Mycophenelate tastes horrible when it comes back up !!!). Anyway, I saw a different doctor today, who wasn't really interested, but my actual surgeon who I discussed it with previously, said if it recurrs he would look further into the problem.
I keep a food and drink diary, and apart from an apple that is the only commonality !
Has anyway else suffered random vomiting?, and should I be worried ?
Aileen

Re: Being sick

Post by Aileen »

Hi Rachael, tx'd 3.5 years ago and results are consistently very good. The point to that is I suffer from migraines, and almost every time I have one, everything comes up i/c tx meds, migraine meds and breakfast!. I'm really not sure how long the tx meds take to digest but I know they have come back up several times prior to that process, I've seen them (not a pretty sight!) It's not ideal but anti-sickness drugs don't really work with me. However a 'random' vomiting bout doesn't impact on my results at all. The consultant is aware but not too worried as long as it is no more than once a month (which it isn't). Hope this helps
Best
Aileen
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
Rachael Turner

Post by Rachael Turner »

Thanks Aileen, that's comforting to know. I can at least stop worrying a little. Thank you.
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

I forgot to say, in my case they know the nausea is part and parcel of the migraine, but they probably would investigate why you are being sick, if it continues. Hopefully it won't :)
take care

A.
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
smudge

Post by smudge »

My recipient consistently throws up if she drinks a milky drink in the first 4-5 hours after getting up in the morning. It's not a problem at other times of the day and started within a week or so of the transplant. It was never a problem for her pre-transplant. Doctors have put it down to "one of those things" and aren't worried about it, just telling her not to drink it after her immunosuppressants. I think she'd agree with you about the taste of returning MMF !
Donated kidney to my best friend on 24th June 2009 at St Georges Hospital
smudge

Post by smudge »

Thanks Keith we agree & she keeps flagging it to little interest She does have a hiatus hernia and has a referral in a couple of weeks to a surgeon with a view to getting her excessively large PKD native kidneys removed. At her last scan they reckoned each kidney weighed 8-10kg so there's a lot of kidney in there that impacts digestion, breathing & general comfort. She's going to mention it (again) at her next appointment and if it doesn't settle down after that, start really pushing for further investigation.

Her creatinine is fine & her general kidney health good even after 2 bouts of rejection & she does find that avoiding hot milky drinks in the morning does the trick.
Donated kidney to my best friend on 24th June 2009 at St Georges Hospital