Bladder emptying - good reason?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

allen-uk

Bladder emptying - good reason?

Post by allen-uk »

I've noticed odd comments about 'fully emptying your bladder' and the like.

Why is this so important?

As an amputee (plus CKD3 or 4), I have to empty my bladder every few hours, at night, and putting on my leg to get to the bathroom would be a pain in the arse for both me and my partner, so for years I've been using a urine collection bottle instead, which I can discreetly slide under the bedclothes, pee into, etc.

But you do lose the effect of gravity, of course, and urinating is all down to muscle pressure - so I doubt if my bladder is '100%' empty until the morning, when I am up and about on two legs again.

How much extra damage is an almost-emptied bladder doing me?

Ta.

Allen.
amanda in CA

Re: Bladder emptying - good reason?

Post by amanda in CA »

More chance of getting a urine infection, but I am sure you will be fine just using a urinal at night. Ask your doctor , but I doubt that it would be a problem.
Andy

Post by Andy »

As a fellow amputee i totally understand where you are coming from about the hassle of putting legs on, its easier for me though as a double below knee i just crawl to the bathroom.
Anyway, emptying you bladder fully will reduce the amount of residual urine left in your bladder therefore leading to reduced risk of infections.
Once I have finished going for a wee, i sit there for another couple of seconds and try just once more, to be honest it usually means that i have another little wee, due if its only a trickle.

Sorry if that was too much information.
Take care
Andy
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

Thanks Amanda, thanks Andy. I'm seeing my doc in a month, so I'll save the question up for him.

Incidentally Andy (it was Andrea when I last communicated with you), to you it's more 'Hello again!' We were on the same amputee discussion board back in 2004/5 when I was just girding up my loins to have my bka, and yours was one of the stories that made me think 'damn me, aren't I the lucky bastard'.

Didn't know you were aiming for New Zealand, and I really hope you're doing well out there. I'm still in NW London, now with one or two more problems, but they're all still of my own making...

Best wishes,

Allen.
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi Again Allen. Now that you mention it I do remember you.

All is going well here in New Zealand. I love it, the care I recieve from the neph team is amazing.

Hope you get all your questions answered.

Andy x
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
allen-uk

Post by allen-uk »

"Welshgirl" rings a bell as a handle! (I don't think mine has changed over the long years).

A.