Holidays after Tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

dirverd

Holidays after Tx

Post by dirverd »

How long in your opinions did it take before you could travel after your Tx?

I know different people will have had different experiences, but I was just curious.

My Op is in May - and was thinking of going away Oct / Nov.

Is this realistic?

(Obviously this is providing everything goes OK and there are no major complications.)

Thanks
cindywoolley

Re: Holidays after Tx

Post by cindywoolley »

Firstly good luck to you and your donor on your forthcoming transplant. As you said it will totally depend on how well you are doing and where you wish to travel. Personally I didn't go away until the first anniversary of my transplant but that was due to the fact that I found holiday insurance was much cheaper once you had cleared your first year especially if everything has gone well and you have had no rejection episodes and I went to Cyprus. I am sure your transplant team will let you know when time is right.
Transplanted 23/9/9 St. George's Hospital
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Hi, I flew to California 7 months post transplant. Insurance was cheap as everything had gone well, no rejection episodes or reasons to return to hospital. You need to have a consultant's letter to list your meds, and to give contact details etc should you become well while out of the country.

Best of luck with your tx
Aileen
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

This is interesting to know. I have promised my GF that we will return to Florida once I get a TX and smash the theme parks again.

A, its a nice treat after not going away for a few years
B, gives me a focus to chase up live donors

I would probably wait until 12 months post TX, just to make sure things were settled down. The last thing I would want would be a rejection episode while on the other side of the Atlantic.

Although a ride on The Hulk could cause a rejection!
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.