antibiotics

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Aileen

antibiotics

Post by Aileen »

Hi folks, does anyone have any views/thoughts on antibiotics post transplant? Tx'd in 2009, all is well, but recently contracted a throat infection. Soldiered on with honey and lemon and all the usual comforters, but when I went to my GP on Friday, she said she really would advise I take amoxycillin 500mg x 3 times daily which is the standard dose. I know amoxycillin to be a broad spectrum antibiotic. She assured me it would not interact adversely with immunos (pred, myfortic and tacro, currently reducing pred to nil over a period of months) I collected the prescription, but just thought I'd fly this on here, find out other experiences with antibiotics some years out from a tx. It's the first time I've needed antibiotics. Thanks all
Aileen
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
MandyV

Re: antibiotics

Post by MandyV »

Hi Aileen - I have had a few difference courses of antibiotics (mostly tx clinic prescribed) for various different bugs over the years. My view is if you need it, then take it! I have turned down antibiotics from a GP who said ' I wouldn't normally suggest it but since you are a tx patient ....' but otherwise take as required. If you are concerned your pharmacist is the drug expert to double check the interactions or your tx clinic.
bigbuzzard

Re: antibiotics

Post by bigbuzzard »

I think I'm with Keith here in suggesting a cautious approach. I read this article in New Scientist recently suggesting that a previously unrecognised consequence of our use of anti-biotics could be permanent changes to the natural bacteria in the gut. Before it was thought that these recovered quickly from taking a course of anti-biotics.

I'd never suffered from gut problems until nearly 2 years ago. Since then, it's been a bit of a constant battle - food not being absorbed properly, resulting in a weight loss of ~25kg. It comes and goes, and is better now than it has been - at least I've stopped losing weight. I had a transplant in 2007. I can't remember whether I took anti-biotics before the gut problems started, though I have a feeling I did. I've been on a few courses since then - and things do change in the guts when I do, though not in predictable or easily describable ways.