The Team Tibbs Results are in...

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

jstuartrobson

Re: The Team Tibbs Results are in...

Post by jstuartrobson »

Thanks for posting that routine. That definitely gives me a good idea. I think I am going to have to get up earlier to cover off breakfast. What do you do for drinks? I do like my tea, although I only have a drop of milk in it! The positive is, I don't have sugar in my tea or coffee and haven't for years.

If you could recommend some websites, that would be great. I have had a look around, and I found the slow carb reference site, putting in foods to see what is allowed and isn't. I'm suprised that veg like carrots and cucumber arent allowed.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I'm not really a hot drinks person, so I just drink water. One thing that is suggested is cinnamon in tea / coffee for sweetness. Apparently cinnamon has other benefits, but I haven't looked into this. The aim is no dairy, but then again if you don't drink much tea maybe it's allowed? Bear in mind a splash of milk in 8-10 cups of tea a day will quickly add up!

He also recommends supplements, but a lot of them interact badly with transplant drugs, so I'm not doing that.

This is the main blog site from Tim Ferriss: http://fourhourworkweek.com/category/th ... carb-diet/

This is a good one: http://www.fourhourbodycouple.com

This links to the Lift app I'm using to keep me on track (I think): https://medium.com/@erinfrey/everything ... 7062761d92

this is the food checker I use (which I think is the one you have too?): http://www.eslowcarbdiet.com/
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I've been promising myself that I'd start a blog to record my progress post-transplant, and I've finally done it!

The site is up at http://www.christibble.com

There are only a couple of new posts at the moment, but I've put up my journey to day, based off my posts on here. I'm going to re-wrte them to be more prose-like and go into a bit more detail, but they'll do for now.

My latest post is about the Bridport Hat Festival - some quite impressive millinery there!
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

So my official weigh in happened - 108Kg! Down from 112Kg 8 weeks ago.

Not a huge loss, but encouraging all the same. I was hoping for a kilo a week, but I'll take what I have.

The rest of the appointment was fine. BP is ok, creatinine stable, see me again in 8 weeks.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Tibbs

Just seen your post below. Well done! How is the diet going? Lost anymore?
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Thanks for asking!

I'm not weighing in until my next clinic appointment, but the measurement loss is going very well.

I'm up to 8.5% of my body size down, and my stomach has gone from 120cm around to 106.5cm in in 70 days. I'm now about 150 days from my target waist size of 87cm (34").

The diet continues to be very easy to follow, I generally make breakfast every morning, and I make a week's worth of food over the weekend. I also have 'emergency' meals in the freezer in case I'm too busy or run out.

I'm off to Mexico on Wednesday, and I'm hoping that I can continue the trend out there. Mexican food is actually very good on this diet - I just need to avoid the rice and the flour.
jbell

Post by jbell »

Hi tibbs glad the diet is going so well, you must feel loads better. Have a fab holiday, llokimg forward to hearing all about it....Jan
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

That's brilliant! Well done. :D

Have a brilliant time in Mexico (business or pleasure??). You'll just have to stuff your face with salsa and guacamole!! Washed down with some Tequila! :lol: Have fun!
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Pleasure, I'm learning to cave dive :)
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Tibbs,

I've just been looking back at your earlier posts and had a nasty shock! Do I gather that after a transplant you can't eat my favourite all time food smoked salmon??!

I'm only on the transplant list and I'm already fantasising about my post transplant diet (chocolate and prawns). To discover no smoked salmon and rare steak would be a real blow!

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

The dieticians told me that the things I couldn't eat (blue & soft cheese, raw fish, rare steak etc) were 'forever', but others seem to have been told that it's fine after a year. The told me to eat like a pregnant woman, but without the weird cravings! :lol:

I've stuck to the careful end, and now don't eat live blue / soft cheese, raw fish or other 'risky' items. I do however make my own mayonnaise with raw eggs, eat soft poached eggs and medium rare steak. It's all about what risks you're prepared to take and your priorities. It's also about where you are. My friend's wife is Japanese, and she was bemused when she was told not to eat raw fish while pregnant - sushi was an integral part of her diet, and pregnant women eat it in Japan. Likewise a French friend of mine scoffed when they told her not to eat soft cheese while pregnant.

Smoked salmon is definitely fine when cooked, so I do eat it in scrambled eggs.
jstuartrobson

Post by jstuartrobson »

Really strange, I'm not sure that I was told to avoid foods......Oops.....Apart from Dragon/Star Fruit, Grapefruit...
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

jstuartrobson wrote:Really strange, I'm not sure that I was told to avoid foods......Oops.....Apart from Dragon/Star Fruit, Grapefruit...
Different places definitely have different rules. I know for certain that Hammersmith is right at the 'anally over-careful' end of the scale.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I'm off to the Neurologist this week - I finally got my referral through because of my terrible memory.

I also need to report quite bad balance. I was doing some cave diving drills in Mexico, where I had to close my eyes, following a line strung between trees. Every so often I had to climb over the line. With my eyes shut it was almost impossible to keep my balance on one leg.

Always interesting to experience a different branch of medicine! :lol:
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Tibbs wrote:
Always interesting to experience a different branch of medicine! :lol:
That's the attitude! Hope it goes well. When's the appt?

My balance is poor sometimes too. Not enough to notice in everyday life but I can't do simple balances in yoga any more. One time I did an early class before taking my irbesartan and I was suddenly tons better at the poses, so I think it's related. Generally I seem to need a low dose of the drug to keep my bp where they want it but I'm getting some giddiness and lightheadedness from it.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010