importing medication from U.K to Australia

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

steveh

importing medication from U.K to Australia

Post by steveh »

My daughter is soon to travel to Australia from the U.K on a gap year(6-12 months) and we are seeking advice on how she can access her medication post renal transplant.
She is allowed only 3 months supply upon arrival at Australian customs. Therefore, does anyone out there know or have experience of how we provide her with the next 3 months supply?
Andy

Re: importing medication from U.K to Australia

Post by Andy »

Maybe she could have them sent to one place. My friend travelled for a year or so, and his tablets were sent to a friend who passed them on.
When i emigrated i had about 4months worth tablets on me and Mike had the rest. No one has ever stopped or questioned me about them. I usually carry a letter outlining my meds.
Hope you come up with a solution.
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

I just carried 5 months of meds with me for my big trip, it never occurred to me there might be a limitation.

Surprisingly, it's hot in Australia, if your daughter's travelling around she ought really to think how to keep the drugs cool. Although I just kept them in my backpack under the blazing sun and came back in good health.

Hope she has a great time.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
steveh

Post by steveh »

Thanks for the replies so far... It seems that honesty is not necessarily the best policy when taking your meds with you.... we have informed customs that we are arriving and got sufficient doctors letters to clear her through... I would love to know if we can simply post her meds onto her when we pick up the next 3 months supply and just post them to her sister and auntie who are Aussie citizens... Red tape is causing the problem!!!! We are looking at SPECIAL ACCESS SCHEME FOR TRAVELLERS... any one used this by any chance?
Liz1126

Post by Liz1126 »

Hi,

I am 24 and had my kidney transplant ten years ago and all is going well. I am in the same situation as your daughter I was honest about my medication and I am having the same problems ... i have been trying to find out where I could source medication in Australia.. Have you had any luck ? I would appreciated any information you may have.. I hope all went well and your daughter has got on well in her travels. Also had you any problems getting your perscriptions in the UK while she is away so they could be sent over by post?

Thanks
Liz
Last edited by Liz1126 on Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I went to Thailand for a final huzzah holiday earlier this year, and half of my hand luggage were pills of various descriptions. No one batted an eyelid.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

are there no disability discrimination laws in Australia, that would make this illegal, since it is essentially preventing a disabled person, the opportunity to visit the country as a regular person would be able to? I would be inclined to pack the full six month's supply accompanied by a doctor's letter. I imagine the purpose of the law was to prevent medication not legal in Australia to be imported and sold on the black market, not prevent someone who relies on medication from visiting the Country. the worst that can happen, would be that they would confiscate the excess, and then it would be necessary to import the next three month supply from the UK. Since your daughter is ordinarily resident in the UK, she should remain eligible for NHS prescriptions, although you may wish to double-check this.
Andy

Post by Andy »

If you cannot carry the 6 months worth in one go, maybe best to send them to a safe place and then have your daughter collect them (if that is possible).

Immuno supressed medication is expensive in every country.

I have to be honest I would just take the full 6 months with me, it is very unlikely that they will stop you, especially if you have a letter from the the doctor. My issue was always getting the hospital to give me a script for that duration as the doctor that presecribes it has an obligation to you and your safety and monitoring when prescribing them.

If I can help in anyway (being in NZ) please let me know.

Cheers
Andrea
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk