almost dead but not quite

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

almost dead but not quite

Post by Pam »

Hello all
It's me--Pam! Have been in the hospital for about a month but am getting better. Was going to have hip replacement surgery but many things went wrong and I became very sick and developed malnutrition. They gave me a medication that almost killed me.
I am currently writing you from a hospital bed. My sister lent me her laptop to use while I'm here. I may need to be on hemo for a month or so as *I recooperate-not sure yet.
well...I shall keep in touch with you all...hope everyone is doing well!
best wishes,
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Kipper

Re: almost dead but not quite

Post by Kipper »

Hi Pam,
So sorry to hear what you've been through, I do hope you are firmly on the road to recovery.
"They gave you some medicine that nearly killed you" hell have they got any posion that might "nearly make you better"

Which hospital are you in or would you prefer not to say, I'd like to send a card.

I found my laptop invaluable when i was recovering from my tx, will sis let you hang onto it.

Very best wishes - keith.
Rik

Post by Rik »

OH PAM!!!!
hun I am so sorry to hear you havent been doing so great these last weeks :0(
blimey lass you have been through a bit havent you!! :?
I do hope you get better pretty pronto ...
I cant think you enjoyed Thanks Giving whilst being stuck in hospital!!

do keep in touch and keep us updated on how you are doing

a very concerned

Rik
cindywoolley

Post by cindywoolley »

Hi Pam
So sorry to hear that you are having such a rough time and hoping that you get better really soon.
Transplanted 23/9/9 St. George's Hospital
Budgie

Post by Budgie »

Hope you feel Perky soon cos Pinky may object !!!

All jokes aside hope you escape soon and stay well !
Life is so short !
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

Oh, Pam, i'm so sorry to hear your news. Virtual hugs and thoughts. Just hope that you make a speedy recovery.
geduramah

Post by geduramah »

Get well soon! xxx
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Oh Pam, what a horrible time you have had - best wishes for a speedy recovery, and hope to hear that you are back on form soon!
Mandy
Pam

Post by Pam »

Thanks so much to everyone for all the kind thoughts, prayers and wishes! I am home now and back on my old ragged computer...yay! :lol: I'll have to remember though to have some sort of computer with me at every visit to the hospital-you are right Keith- it makes the time fly.
Well, just wanted to check in with all of you...I'm not walking yet but with this computer I can travel around the world and "see" my friends! Still in a wheelchair and doing all the things an invalid has to do ((or have done to them...sure dampens your pride!) but i am getting stronger bit by bit.
Oh and Rik! Surprisingly I did have a very good Thanksgiving! My mom came up and we had dinner together...the food at our hospital is insanely good--we have room service and there is an amazing choice of meals. The Thanksgiving meal was better than most i've had at home!
Well, talk with you all soon!
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Rik

Post by Rik »

more good news!!
Pam its so good to hear your out now :0)
now just get better and out of that chair!!

Pam wrote:Oh and Rik! Surprisingly I did have a very good Thanksgiving! My mom came up and we had dinner together...the food at our hospital is insanely good--we have room service and there is an amazing choice of meals. The Thanksgiving meal was better than most i've had at home!
um?? ... are you SURE you were in hospital Pam?? I checked out whats local to you ... are you sure you werent Here for a short stay??
Pam

Post by Pam »

hey guys
Thanks for all the nice thoughts, prayers and wishes...am out of the hospital but now in a rehab place to build up my strength and gain some weight...ha ha never thought I'd say THAT!!!!! Down into the single digits!
had to get the ash catheter in my neck for dialysis even though I have a perfectly functioning PD Cath. It is for the conveniences of the place I'm'staying. None of the rehab places around here accept persons on PD! So...I have a very good pd Cath that I can't use right now because I am on hemo because it's more convenient for THEM! I have to admit there is also a infection issue,but there is'also infection associated with the neck Cath so I am very confused.
Thought hemo might be somewhat better than 40 years ago when I got so sick on it and the first couple treatments went quite well...but soon they became a little too familiar.Am feeling very sick the last hour or so and getting awful headaches. Any advice for me to minimize these?
Anyways, I had a very nice Christmas with family. Spent an afternoon eating and opening gifts and watching A Christmas Story. Which happens to run 24 hrs-Christmas eve through Christmas day! Received some very nice gifts from my sweet nieces and had some actual, real food. The food here isn't very palatable...Doesn't compare to our hospital (cute joke about Hilton Hotel here in Springfield! But Rik, the food at Memorial Medical Center is DELICIOUS!! Wish I could have you come across the pond for dinner!) I asked here at this rehab place if they had any fresh vegetables ( which I absolutely LOVE ) and they don't.! A place for getting well and they have no fresh food! Mostly carbs (sweets, breads, canned veggies, canned fruit, jello,etc.) so my sis made me some raw broccoli and cauliflower salad and it is delicious! :D Everytime I look at this rehab stuff, I can feel my insides recoil and scream "no more! No more!" LOL oh well.....I'll keep in touch with all of you!
best regards from
Pam
Merry Christmas to all of you!!
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

I've just had news from Pam's sister that Pam is too ill to continue to fight. Its been one thing after another. She is leaving hospital today to go to a hospice for her last days. She is stopping dialysis. It won't be long. I am so heart broken, especially as I hadn't even seen this thread or seen her sister's facebook updates so I had no idea things had got so bad. She's been an amazing friend to me over the years, I wish I'd been a better friend to her over the past few months. She has brought a huge amount of encouragement and support to this group and I'm sure many will agree she'll be missed greatly. She is a Christian, as am I, so we believe she is going to a better place where there is no more pain or suffering, she will be at perfect peace and in perfect joy. She knows she is going to a better place and will die with absolute peace in her heart. But she leaves behind her three dear sisters, her mum, nieces and nephews, all of whom she loved with all her heart, and many friends who love her dearly. If you pray, please pray for these last days. Ali xx
Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis (MCGN/MPGN) TYPE 1
Stage 5, nephrotic, hypoalbuminia, proteinurea, hypothyroidism, anemia, vitamin d deficiency
Ramipril, Levothyroxine, Ferrous Gluconate, Alfacalcidol, D3, Domperidone, Amitriptyline
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Oh Ali that is desperate news - I do hope she gets strength and perhaps a little comfort from all the people on here and I am sure in her life that are saying a little prayer for her. Please pass on our thoughts and prayers to her sister in this sad time. Mandy
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

I am so sorry to hear this news. If you read this Pam, I am sending my love to you. You are a great person and it's been a prililage to 'know' you. I am sad that you are suffering so much but hope that they can make you comfortable.
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

So sorry to read this news.
Transplanted 31st July 2012 - Vasculitis survivor