fendrix

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

red dog

fendrix

Post by red dog »

erm, quicky I have just started a course of Fendrix (hbv) and was asked if I pay for prescriptions, I don't really know, but have PPC anyway. Should I be paying, the hospital requested GP to start treatment. ?
sanela

Re: fendrix

Post by sanela »

If you have a PPC then I would guess you would normally pay for your prescriptions, otherwise why have the PPC? As far as I know, all prescriptions within the time period you have the PPC are covered so no extra charges.

I had that vaccine pre dialysis/txp prescribed by my consultant. I got the first injection there and then at that appointment. The vaccine comes in 3 shots if I remember correctly. I also had a booster (one injection) a year later while still pre dialysis.

Don't know why your GP should prescribe it though. It is part of the hospital pre dialysis care when you are close to renal failure. Could be a case of different hospital protocols though.

Here is a link for the comprehensive info on Fendrix http://www.medicines.org.uk/EMC/medicin ... C/Fendrix/

Sanela
Walter, 15 september 2009
Fabrette

Post by Fabrette »

Hi Red Dog,

My renal unit arranged for my GP to vaccinate me against HEP B too- it didn't cost me a penny and I have a PPC. To be fair paying for it, whether by PPC or not was never mentioned.

:) xx
My one life added to my cat's nine make a perfect ten.
red dog

Post by red dog »

Thanks for info, its not so much the cost, but the nurse said the pharmacy asked how I would be paying, as it was ordered in especially. If its covered by the PPC that's fine. The nurse was sadly under the impression that all renal patients get free prescriptions. Not so I had to inform her.
sanela

Post by sanela »

If you are on dialysis then you qualify for free prescriptions. I was on dialysis for 5 weeks when I got my transplant so have always pre paid. Thank goodness we at least have that option because my meds were changed so often after my transplant that it would have cost a fortune if I had to pay for each one individually.

Sanela
Walter, 15 september 2009