Restless legs...any help?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

Restless legs...any help?

Post by Pam »

I have restless legs almost every night and it is making sleep almost impossible...I have it sometimes during the day also, but it doesn't bother me as much as it does at night.
I'm going to mention it to my doctor, but want to know if there are any medications or anything else that might ease my legs. It's driving me nuts!
Thanks for any replies or suggestions!
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: Restless legs...any help?

Post by JMan »

Restless leg Syndrome, RLS is quite common in kidney patients.
The annoying thing is doctors don't really know what causes it, but it's thought to be an electrolyte imbalance.
I'\ve found exercise helps, others recommend tonic water, and some drugs are prescribed.

There's a few threads on this board
WIKI has a page on it, I'd definitally bring it up with your doc:)
Your definitally not alone in having restless legs.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

Requip is the only med that is specifically prescribed for RLS, but it can have rebound, that is, it can make the RLS worse and you can also fall asleep without warning in the daytime. these are the reasons that I choose not to use it. MY doctor prescribed me gabapentin for itching. It also makes me drowsy so I fall asleep anyway. Cooling your legs off can help, as can disconnecting from dialysis and walking around.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Sleep with a bicycle attached to a storage battery, it won't help your legs but you'll wake up with a free day's supply of electricity. :lol:

I had cramps pre tx in my legs, buggers would wake me up every night and I'd dance around the bedroom for 20 mins til they calmed down.
Just one of the joys of renal failure - and people think we have it easy cos there's a treatment.
Narfish

Post by Narfish »

Hi Pam,
I get restless legs occasionally too, and as mentioned exercise does seem to help.
I've noticed that its often worse if my PTH levels are up (Para-Thyroid Hormone), don't know if thats the case with everyone though.
I've been given Clonazipan by the doctors which I would guess is the same family as sedatives like Tamazipan. Taken at night is acts as a muscle relaxant and helps me sleep. It works well for me, but I do find that over time its less effective so I stop taking it for a short while then its fine again

All the best

Chris
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Cutting out or reducing caffeine and alcohol is supposed to help and I find it does. Not sure how relevant this is to you though.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Doolally

Post by Doolally »

Have you had your vitamin d level checked? Low levels of vitamin d can cause restless legs (just one of many reasons why you can have RSL but vit d deficiency is fairly common in renal patients so worth getting checked if you haven't).

Hope you get some sleep soon.

Lots of love xxx
Membranoproliferative Glomerulonephritis (MCGN/MPGN) TYPE 1
Stage 5, nephrotic, hypoalbuminia, proteinurea, hypothyroidism, anemia, vitamin d deficiency
Ramipril, Levothyroxine, Ferrous Gluconate, Alfacalcidol, D3, Domperidone, Amitriptyline
Jill

Post by Jill »

I'm prescribed a med called pramipexole for restless legs and it works. It is a drug normally prescribed for patients with Parkinsons disease to reduce their tremors.
Like all drugs, it has a long list of possible side effects. The most hilarious ones are a compulson to gamble and a rampant libido. I've experienced neither!
Jill
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Jill, just read this .... :::::chortling:::::::

xx
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

Restless leg syndrome are so anoying. Hope you find a solution. Had many before transplant. Used streching to minimize the attacks.
I remember a lot of post on other boards, where qinine was mentioned. I guess it's not available as a capsule anymore .

I have recently, post transplant, gotten deep musle pain in both legs. They wake me during the night. So, I asked the doctor...she said that some people( on low salt diets) atually
need a little salt now and then. I am doing that and pain has gone.

Jane
karlos

Post by karlos »

What are your Phosphate levels like?

I am no doctor. But since taking Lanthanum Carbonate (Phosphate Binder) I no longer suffer itchy legs and very rarely restless ones either!

It's expensive; my GP was reluctant to prescibe it, but did due to my age. It's made a huge difference to me.

Maybe minimize Phosphate in your diet and see if it makes a difference.