How is this possible?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

How is this possible?

Post by Pam »

Hi all,
I was looking at some websites on phosphorus content in foods and came across something rather peculiar...one of the lists stated that cream cheese and sour cream were low in phosphorus. I thought all dairy products were high phosphorus! :shock:
This was good news for me as I LOVE sour cream and also enjoy cream cheese...now if only cottage cheese (YUM!) were also low in phosphorus...I guess you can't have it all, can you? :?
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
Stoday

Re: How is this possible?

Post by Stoday »

Yeah, the list of high and low phosphate foods given to me by my dietician says cream cheese is OK. However, it must be full fat cream cheese; fat free has nearly SIX times as much phosphate.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Cottage Cheese, is as far as I know relatively low in phosphate compared to regular hard cheese. It appears in all the renal cookbooks.
cazpi

Post by cazpi »

I've always eaten a little cream cheese and cottage cheese (watch the salt content though) and sour cream/normal cream are OK as far as I know.
Dialysis Queen

Post by Dialysis Queen »

I eat full fat hard Cheddar cheese from time to time. I am going to have some Cheddar cheese on toast for my lunch. Yum Yum!
I think you just have to be sensible. Have a little of what you fancy from time to time just don't over do things and go mental!
I speak from 28 years kidney failure experience.
I think the dieticians can be too precious sometimes about the do's and don'ts.
Just be careful and eat sensibly.
I am dialysing tonight so the cheese on toast will get filtered out and I am taking my phosphate binders so no probs.
Life is too short - you could die by being hit by a bus today so live a little.
:wink:
Everything in moderation.
Cheese on toast - HERE I COME!!!! :lol:

DQ x