Renvela side effects?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Pam

Renvela side effects?

Post by Pam »

Hi all,
I began taking Renvela for phosphorus control a couple of weeks ago. I have been having to run to the bathroom constantly, it seems! I get stomach cramps that feels like when you have the flu. It doesn't happen every time I take the Renvela, but it's enough to be a bother. :?
Have any of you had this problem? I understand that the drug binds to the phosphorus and then carries it out of the body--I am wondering if the kind of food you eat when you take the pills can make a difference? If I eat a high phosphorus food, will the Renvela affect me this way more than if I ate a lower phosphorus food??
Just wondering...thanks for any replies or suggestions!
Pam
32 yr cadaver transplant recipient, now on peritoneal dialysis with the help of Audrey, my Homechoice machine... as of 4/3/09
Romans 8:28
M3Riddler

Re: Renvela side effects?

Post by M3Riddler »

Pam wrote:Hi all,
I began taking Renvela for phosphorus control a couple of weeks ago. I have been having to run to the bathroom constantly, it seems! I get stomach cramps that feels like when you have the flu. It doesn't happen every time I take the Renvela, but it's enough to be a bother. :?
Have any of you had this problem? I understand that the drug binds to the phosphorus and then carries it out of the body--I am wondering if the kind of food you eat when you take the pills can make a difference? If I eat a high phosphorus food, will the Renvela affect me this way more than if I ate a lower phosphorus food??
Just wondering...thanks for any replies or suggestions!
Pam
Pam,

Binders can cause GI issues which may include cramps etc... Most are known to cause constipation which is the exact opposite of your problem. How much are you taking of Renvela?
Perhaps you should discuss with your doc to switch to another form of or a different phosphorus binder. Here is the drug info for Renvela:
http://www.rxlist.com/renvela-drug-pati ... ideeffects

///M3R
Administrator/Moderator: Facebook Group - Dialysis Discussion Uncensored
Dialysis Discussion Uncensored