post transplant and working

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Gillymac

Post by Gillymac »

Hi all you can always visit this site and realise you not the only one ! After my transplant I went back to work in school but my job had been changed so I had nothing to do. Bored I left for another job, this lasted 5 months due to a 19 year old bully ( cant believe it). Since then I have struggled, worked temporary last Christmas was ok, then nothing til Sept but I coudnt cope with hours and joint problems. I have now taken on 22hr job in pharmacy standing all day selling cosmetics but they're throwing all this training at me which they did not mention at interview! I dont want to work on pharmacy my job was selling cosmetics. Hence its now all too much I feel pathetic why cant I cope???? Feel like i've done all the coping I can but like thousands of others we need the money. Another school have asked me to interview but its primary the nurses mentioned I should be wary about bugs especially chikenpox does anyone work in primary school ? if so how do you get on and should I worry?
I do feel as though I should be over my illness by now and tip top but I dont think that happens, day by day I guess.

Sorry for the downer and thanks to the site

Gillx
Helen Rambaut

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Hi Gilly
I havent looked at the site for a while and saw your post hadnt had any replies.

I think you're right - day by day is how you have to look at it and not compare yourself with how you think you ought to feel.

Sometimes I am so pleased with how much I have done in a day, which I could never have done before, and then find the next day I am much tireder than I feel I should be.

Perhaps the years I had on dialysis took a lot more out of me which putting the new kidney in does not put back.

Could you talk to a renal counsellor?

Helen
Gillymac

Post by Gillymac »

thanks Helen i have been to drs he thinks counselling god idea. Seem to be just like a rollercoaster with emotional ups and downs since transplant. Some say its all the different meds.

thanks Gill x
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I'd definitely agree with that. I was all over the place for the first few months. Counselling really helped - best of luck!

And give yourself a break, so few people go through this, it's an incredible mental and physical strain.