Parathyroid and calcium problems post tx

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JanA

Parathyroid and calcium problems post tx

Post by JanA »

My husband is coming up to one year post transplant and on the whole everything has gone well. Before his transplant he was having some problems with high calcium levels while on CPD and there was a suggestion of removing his parathryroid glands. It was hoped that the kidney would solve this but his calcium levels remain consistently high - 2.8 2.9. He had a scan which showed that 3 of the 2 glands were enlarged (2 the size of a pea) however he is getting different messages from the medical staff. One consultant is happy to leave it for the moment while the surgeon wants to remove the glands. He has an appointment with the surgeon next week and I wondered if anyone has gone through this. Particularly we'd like to know if there can be any problems if the glands - or possibly 3 of the 4 - are removed. Presumably it means more medication.
Thanks for your help.
missyh

Post by missyh »

I had my parathyroid glands removed 18 months after my transplant, with exactly the same background as your husband.
I started off having to take one-alpha and a calcium supplement, but my levels gradually settled and I now only take a small dose of one-alpha.
My surgeon removed all of my glands as he said there was a possibilty that if any were left they could still cause problems and would then have to have further surgery. I have a very small scar on my neck, which now is hardly noticeable.
Hope this helps.
Love Helen xxxx
JanA

Post by JanA »

THanks for this Helen - it's really useful and he can ask about removing all of them when he sees the surgeon.
Jan