Rant Please lol !

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

nmac234

Rant Please lol !

Post by nmac234 »

Hello ,
Just been to pre dialysis course in UHW Cardiff and asked what do you get supplied with when you start CAPD !
Ready for this "A plate Bag warmer ", nothing else apart from your normal supplies !

They want me to supply the stand or hook , weighing scales , scissors, paper towels , Bp Cuff !

Not so easy when the only income is Incapacity benefit , Nothing like rubbing it in , Your ill suffer !!!!!

Neil
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Aaah cutbacks, and totally outrageos!
I still have my scales and table from PD (now on heamo at home),

Complain, or contact the BKPA they should be able to help fund it.

Some things like hooks you may be able to use a door as a stand:)
Helen Rambaut

rant

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Feel free to rant - it's the one place where we all understand.

Don't know about cut backs dont be so quick to label this. I wasn't supplied with drip stand; or scales; or scissors; or BP cuff. Baxter supplied the paper roll along with the other supplies/consumables and I was supplied with a bag warmer by the unit. The unit gave me a spring balance for weighing the bag which I returned after my tx. I bought a nappy changing mat to use as a clean surface on top of a table. I appreciate the problem being on incapacity benefit so best advice is to apply for grant and ask renal social worker to help. Also if on incapacity benefit speak to renal social worker to help apply for disability allowance etc. and ask about other benefits for which you might qualify. The KPA may give small grants to help out.

Tips for hanging bag up - coat hanger over door. There's been a topic recently on this.

Helen
amanda in CA

supplies

Post by amanda in CA »

when I started dialysis 20 years ago, we didn't get provided with a bag warmer or anything else for that matter. We ended up having to buy a bag warmer since for daily use all other methods didn't work very well. You do not have to buy a stand, you can purchase a small lockable hook which will stick very nicely to a mirror or other smooth surface and can be used in any location.

I was on the transplant list, yet didn't get provided with a pager, I had to hire my own (pre cell-phone days).

One thing that springs to mind that may be helpful is that you may be able to get a prescription for your dressings and tape. dialysis patients are entitled to free prescriptions on the basis that you have a "A permanent fistula requiring dressing". You just need to obtain an exemption certificate which can be obtained from your doctor's surgery. this will also mean that you do not have to pay for any other prescriptions too. Hope this is helpful
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

My supplies from Baxter always covered everything, though never got a warmer (apart from the one built in to APD machine). Never needed one though - there was nearly always a way to warm up the bag. Still have some of the stuff, like bottles of Hibiscrub 3 years later.

Good luck with it all, Finding obscure places/ways to do the exchanges can be a good game, even if it's one you haven't chosen.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

For someone on capd, having abeg warmer is pretty much a must if you want to make life as less onerous as possible. Bags can beheated using other methods but it all takes time.
geduramah

Post by geduramah »

noooowai!!!!

OMG I have a spare room full of crap! I have hooks, paper towels, paper towell dispenser, dressings, gauze, strelie water, galipots, yellow bags+ties, adhesive removal for the skin, sharps bin, hibiscrub, hibi hand sanitiser, and probs other stuff I totally forgot...og yeah a bag warner thats like a laptop bag for when Im out and aboot.

Yes there is cuts but it costs too much for 1 person to supply this, thats a joke when Im getting all this up here in teh North. Tell them them are you gonna pay for the antibiotics when you get peritinitus then?

You sure deserve a rang, its totally hanus! Please dont let them get away with their responsibility - what the F do we pay NI for then?
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k
nmac234

Rant Please lol !

Post by nmac234 »

Update ,
Have now checked with all the organizations , if i want a stand , bag warmer etc, i have to buy them , no help out there at all !
In Wales if your ill , You pay lol !!!!

Neil
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

I thought that it was better in Wales. No prescription charge etc. LOL
geduramah

Post by geduramah »

i would gdt in touch with dla see if they can help with costs. Since when was wales not in GB? there must be help out there, the stuff costs too much.
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

Wales is in GB. However, my in-laws live in Wales and they tell me that there are no prescription charges, since they have the Welsh Assembly who decided that in Wales there should be no prescription charges. I do agree, however, that there may be ways of clawing back the money that you need to pay.
Jill

Post by Jill »

I've read your list and here are a few tips

1. Drip stand - don't bother. Buy some blunt ended butchers hooks and hang one over a wardrobe/cupboard door. Less than £5 for 2 at a kitchenware shop.
2. Scales. I bought luggage scales from Asda for weighing the fluid bags. I think they were £2.99. My bathroom scales were 50p from a jumble sale
3. Scissors - £1 from any pound shop
4. Paper towels - not expensive. I rarely need to use any
5. BP monitor. I was never told I needed one but I've got one anyway. It cost £2.99 from Ebay. You can buy them new from most chemists from £10.

If you haven't already guessed from my pennypinching tips - I'm from Yorkshire with Scottish ancestry!

Jill