Strange and painful foot rash

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

sanela

Strange and painful foot rash

Post by sanela »

For a few days now I have been having excrutiating pain in my right leg which has now moved to my right foot. A rash has appeared on the sole, side, heal, toes and ankle. It's not a rash that's red all over but it resembles small warts/corns and there is one tiny blister filled with fluid. I initially saw my tx consultant on thursday before any rash appeared and he first thought it might be shingles. Yesterday when the rash appeared I had it checked at my renal rapid assessment unit but the doctor there didn't think it was shingles as the rash looks different and I don't have any other relating symptoms. She is unable to say what it is, has prescribed tramadol (which I took tonight but did not of help) and said if it gets worse to come back. I have also been prescribed Aciclovir just in case it is shingles but have not taken that. My blood and urine test from thursday are normal.
The pain in my leg is somewhat controlled with paracetomol but it's my foot that is the main problem now. The rash has not spread further but is burning and feels like I'm sticking needles into it. I can barley walk and searching various medical sites and forums the only vaguely similar condition I've come across is a form of eczema.
Has anybody here had anything similar pre or post transplant? Both doctors agreed it's unlikely to be harmful to my kidney but I can't help but worry. If there is no improvement tomorrow I will go back to the hospital but in the meantime any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Sanela
Walter, 15 september 2009
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

I've never had shingles but it does sound like the pain that has been described to me by my dad and mother-in-law, both of whom have had it.
Helen Rambaut

rash pain in foot

Post by Helen Rambaut »

Hi Sanela
I'd try taking the aciclovir if it's been prescribed. In my simple non-medical lateral thinking ... it's a ciclovir. We get given valganciclovir to prevent/cure CMV. Think shingles, chicken pox, CMV come under Herpes and need anti viral drugs.
Helen
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

The first thing I think of when I hear of inflamed and painful feet is gout. It's not that, is it?
cazpi

Post by cazpi »

I've got gout today! Normally it lasts a couple of days - sometimes red and swollen but no rash.
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

Doesn't sound like gout to me because of the rash. There is no rash with gout.
sanela

Post by sanela »

Thanks all.
I went back to my renal unit yesterday as the rash became more pronounced, the foot really burns and the pain intensified. The dr confirmed shingles so I am on Aciclovir plus paracetomol for the pain and I've got Tramadol if it becomes unbearable. It's the burning feeling that is hard to cope with, the painkillers don't take that away!
Oh the joys of being bed-bound...

Sanela
Walter, 15 september 2009