Silly Bug&*%

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

stephenM

Silly Bug&*%

Post by stephenM »

Well I guess I'm paying for being a smart ar**, got up on Tuesday morning had shower was drying myself off when I noticed my cap was missing from the end of my PD tube. Instead of ringing up and asking them to sort me out ( and because I have an empty space between my ears, which has now got an constant echo of my wife screaming at me calling me everything under the sun), I decided in my empty head just to wash the end with the Hibi disinfectant and carry on as normal, as you can guess lady luck was not with me, and so I got an infection!! . So at midnight (great timing on my part as usual) of to the A&E.
After spending all night in Wigans wonderful A&E in panic mode because nobody was sure what to do with me except stab me full of holes for blood and after discussions with Hope Hospital pumped me with anti doda's and then to transfer me to Hope in the morning, about 10am on Thursday an ambulance was arranged to take me. As you can guess lady luck gave me another good kick because there was a mix up between Wigan service and Hopes because the ambulance arrived at 2.30 pm . At 3.30 approx the lovely PD nurse's sorted me out with the correct anti Doda's and evan showed me how to inject the fluid in my bag's which i now have to do every night for the next 21 days.
I sit here typing this message to all stupid people ( just me then)whilst my wife is beating me round the head, if there is a moral to this story its this;
"Never admit to doing something stupid, blame something or someone else"
Learning to live again!!
Helen Rambaut

Post by Helen Rambaut »

No the right thing to do is to listen to the PD nurses and remember if you touch the end of the tube the drill is stop the exchange or whatever you are doing, clamp the tube, and go straight to the PD unit for a tube change. Do not pass Go, do not collect £100, do not stop for anything else.

Even if you feel like a prize idiot & have done something stupid they want you to follow the rule.

It doesnt matter where you are in the country if you phone your PD unit (or its night cover) you can find out the nearest dialysis place and get it done. This happened to me in Suffolk and I got it changed in Addenbrokes.

You have learned the lesson hard that most places, A&E etc do not have a clue about PD and what to do.

Good luck. We have all made mistakes - some more catastrophic than others - & hopefully lived to tell the tale.

Helen
Stoday

Post by Stoday »

It's stories like this that make me glad I had to have hæmodialysis — I would have chosen PD but it was not an option for me.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Stephen - a hard way to learn the lesson, but one you will doubtless never forget! Hope you get it sorted soon.

Stoday - I hate to say it but there are complications in both types of dialysis, just different ones!
geduramah

Post by geduramah »

This must me a trend - I was diagnosed with peritinitus on saturday, 2 days before I was capping off, forgot to clamp the fluid in line and water gushed everywhere!! I panicked and didnt know what to do so I held the line in the air for a few seconds, grapped my new cap and capped off. In the mean time the end of my tube must have stroked against my clothes and badabing bababoom I have this bug too!

To boot When I went to the PD ward I reminded them that I have a tender belly button and pain (which I told my community nurse about) they said its prob the bug, next day I persisted so mentioned it again when collecting my orals. They decided to do an Xray and they found that the end of my tube has moved to my belly button area!! I knew something wasnt right coz my drains where getting slower through the week. They kept saying it was constipation but I know my body and it wasnt that. I have to go in again today so I can find out what they are gonna do about it, good thing that my creatinine had dropped about 25% and my urea was in the late 20's from mid 30's
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

I think everyone on PD has a panic moment at some time, you are doing this 4 times a day for years, it's inevitable that something will go wrong. It becomes automatic and you don't think about it, then the phone rings and you forget where you are in the process. I've caught the end of the tube on my clothing a number of times, often in panic I can't remember if I caught it or not, I then mentally backtrack and can't remember so panic more.

My tube split and the first thing I knew about it was my jeans were soaking wet. As I experienced agony when fully drained out it was a rush to the hospital before I drained out completely, that was the scariest moment. Had perotinitus also but oddly not my fault, a bladder infection, thankfully I'm transplanted now but would definitely choose PDover heamo next time, I'd just make sure the idiot surgeon checked the length of the tube so it didn't catch on my peroteneum wall when empty.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

That reminds me of the time when I suddenly felt all wet around my nether regions. At first I thought I'd lost all control, cause I couldn't feel a thing - then I realised it was PD fluid, and thought I must have sprung a leak somehow. By this time I was in a pool, and had the presence of mind (I thought) to stand in a bucket that happened to be nearby. A few seconds later of thinking "shit, what now!?" I looked down and saw that the PD tube had just come undone at its join (duh) so a simple clamp was all that was needed to stop the flow - and a trip straight to Guy's to get some Antibiotics and a new end tube.

That end tube had been put on in Edinburgh just a few weeks earlier, when I'd woken up (while staying at a friend's house) in a sodden bed, as my tube connecting me to the APD machine had come undone in my sleep. That time, I went straight to the Edinburgh renal unit, where they gave me some prophylactic antibiotics, and fitted a new end bit - clearly NOT TIGHTLY ENOUGH!

I must have been on Lady Luck's good side then, 'cos managed not to get any infections.