places not to go/be very cautious

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

haydn

places not to go/be very cautious

Post by haydn »

Hi guys! how are we all?

Because I want to put something good on my cv, i want to go abroad to a 3rd world country to help with the aid work. I think it would give me a chance to see the different perspective of the world.

Now i'm not stupid, I do not want to go to war-torn and violent countries e.g. sierra leonne or zimbabwe, but maybe somewhere like thailand or even ghana or the phillipenes?

the only problem i've got is my tablets, what I usually do is on holidays take double the amount i need e.g a 2 week hoiday i take a month's worth.

I also would like to start a football team where I would work and to spread the word of cardiff city (hey, i can dream)

Any suggestions on where would be best to work with places such as orphanages etc would be grateful

thanks guys!!

xx
I LOVE LIFE!!!
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Hi - I hope that you will find such a trip more useful than just something on your cv, but that you will get a really different perspective on life.

Personally, as a Zimbabwean, I would not describe it as 'war torn and violent' but there it is difficult for NGO's to work effectively unless they are toeing the govt line!

What I would suggest is that you go to a country where there is a really good healthcare service available to you, and that you work within reasonable striking distance of such healthcare. i would also suggest that you don't particularly want to go to a maleria area as that is a risk you don't need.

My suggestion would be South Africa as you have access to great healthcare, but there are many deprived areas which you could be really helpful in. I would link up with something like VSO to get into a reputable program.

Good luck!
Andy

Post by Andy »

Hi

Good idea to spread the word about Cardiff City... they are Awesome!!

A good friend of mine who had a tx a few years ago (5 i think) lives and works in south Africa.

http://www.volunteerafrica.co.za/about.asp he started volunteering on a year out, and him and his wife moved from Wales to SA.

Volunteering, both in this country and aborad will certianly broaden your horizons and make your CV look better.

xx
We are the way we are, if we werent, I wouldnt be me and you wouldnt be you!

www.lltgl.org.uk
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

Stay away from anywhere ending in Stan - Afghanistan, Kurdistan, Uzbekistan, Kazahkstan, Pakistan, and Stan Baldwin!
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hi there,

I've been to quite a few "third world" countries since my tx, for extended periods of times (2-3 months), as I spend a lot of time working with NGOs.

As for places with good medical facilities with experiences of transplants, somewhere like Kenya or South Africa is a good choice. Both are well set-up in terms of NGO work experience and have world class hosptial facilities. I had to carry a lot of drugs with me, but it was worth it in the end. I have had absolutely no problems- 24 hours with loose bowels (no vomiting, fever, anything), but it did clear up eventually.

I work with a lot of NGOs: Please think carefully about who you volunteer with, as not all of them are as reputable as they appear- it can be big business!

Jen