Holidays

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Rachaeluk

Holidays

Post by Rachaeluk »

Hi everyone,

Was just wondering if anyone has been on holiday to Greece, in particular one of the smaller places like Kos and if they were insured ok?

I have been transplanted for 4 years, with some minor hiccups but mainly related to my chest which hasnt affected kidney function.

Any help would be greatly appreciated:)

xxx
ImageImage
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Hi Rach, I went to Crete last year, I didn't enjoy it that much. The North of the island is far more interesting than most of the south side where I was.

It is a dramatic island as it completly changes from one side (dry land) to the other,(lush temperate plants and trees)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
missyh

Post by missyh »

I was insured for Kos very reasonbly pre-transplant and have got insurance for this year for Cyprus, again at a very good price.
You will love Kos, to date, my favourire Greek Island. Where are you staying?
Have a fab holiday.
Love Helen :D
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Hi,

I don't think you'll have trouble getting insurance - it's a standard European destination, unless that's changed recently because of the financial troubles!

I have to say that I really really hate buying insurance. I go for annual policies so I don't have to do it so often. It seems to take so much shopping around and cost so much money. The difference in price between the worst and best quotes can be hundreds of pounds. I do it online and you end up filling in the same information time after time - they obviously use exactly the same set of screening questions.

I resent the money because I've travelled quite a lot and never made any sort of claim, let alone for a health issue. And you're never sure whether what you've bought is any good, would they pay out if anything did happen?

At least twice Sainsbury's has come up cheapest. Last time it was Essential Travel. I paid about £80 I think for annual Europe cover, Sainsbury's wanted £150 for the same cover. :shock:

Have a great time wherever you decide to go.
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Hi folks, if it's of any help, Tesco were brilliant, insuring me to travel to California 6 months post transplant for about 80 squid. Given that I was nowhere near a year in, I thought that was brilliant and I am happy to recommend :)

Aileen
missyh

Post by missyh »

I agree with Aileen, I have now had 2 quotes from Tesco and they have both been very reasonable - doesn'y break the bank. Worth giving them a call.
Rachaeluk

Post by Rachaeluk »

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all help and info:) I rang Tesco, they seemed happy enough to insure me and gave me a quote. Will confirm with them in next day, whayy holiday here I come :)

xxx
ImageImage
Sue

Insurance

Post by Sue »

Hi I always use Freespirit Insurance, I am off to Croatia, Portugal and China this year and am 2 years post transplant. They allow me a year long policy for Europe and a single trip worldwide and they do cover you for pre-existing medical conditions otherwise I wouldnt be going anywhere without it.

My policy for the whole of Europe was £83. China is more expensive with £270 for 2 weeks but I think it is essential as if anything is going to go wrong I want to ensure I am covered fully.

I hope this helps you

Sue
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Similarly with Tesco, Sue and Rachael... as you can imagine, at 6 months post transplant I wasn't going ANYWHERE without knowing I was fully covered! I also ensured they would cover Trev coming back early with me on the plane should that occasion arise, big tick there. Luckily the insurance wasn't required but I wouldn't have travelled without every eventuality being covered :)

Have a great holibob, Rachael :)

Aileen x
Aileen

Post by Aileen »

Absolutely spot on Keith - my mantra -get it in writing (applies to most things!!) :D

Aileen
The half full glass or the half empty? it's a no-brainer! :)

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000139507823
Mother

Post by Mother »

I'm a bit late to this but I'd also recommend Tesco - we got annual European cover from them for us as a family, including Tanith just 4 months after she was transplanted and have just got fairly reasonable insurance for a 2 week trip to California in the summer.
Elaine

Holidays

Post by Elaine »

Glad you managed to sort out insurance Rach :D . Tesco did cover you for travelling to Spain 1yeaR Post Kidney Tranplant. It is important to be sure to be covered for pre-existing medical conditions and as discussed with Tesco they do so will double check in writing when policy arrives.
Also backed by Dr too who will supply written confirmation which is worth having.

Suprisingly Direct Line said do not cover Transplants if donor 'unknown' so worth checking out different comapanies for varied policies terms and conditions and prices.

Sure Rach you have a fab holiday well deserved after completing your Psychology Degree :D :wink: take care :P xx

ps Also links on NKF too about holiday advice and information too.
rosa t

Post by rosa t »

We're looking to go abroad to Hungary for a few days - I'm not transplanted and have stable grf 20 -30 - I do have lots of meds including EPO & warfarin

I've seen that you need a letter from your GP - do they just put what meds you are on and what they are for?

Since having CKD we havent been abroad partly because of the extra cost of insurance- pre dialysis seems to bump the cost. Last time we were quoted £200 for me & £600 excess. Hoefully as I have been stable for a long time it may come down!
Yesterday is history, tomorrow is mystery, today is a gift, that's why they call it present
dkjane

Post by dkjane »

I traveled to Europe a few times pre-transplant ( kidney function 15- 20%).
Scheduled the flights inbetween labs and Epo.

Just went in April for 3 weeks and I got a bit nervous, as there were airport closure everywhere.
Counted my transplant meds. twice to make sure that had in fact 7 days of extra medication. QE2 might have been a solution back to US !?

Happy summer to everyone! Jane
geduramah

Post by geduramah »

Can anyone help me!

Looking for travel insurance - I have PKD, pre dialysis, have alll other affects (hyperparathyroidism, High BP, anemia). When getting quotes I have to put all this in seperate so it looks like I have a long list of illness but there is n way to say that they are all related to the CKD.

confused as to put CKD and say im on 4 different meds for it , or list em all seperate? Ive been given some crazy quotes from £350 - £110 - for 1 week in Spain!!! Surely it can be cheaper or is it because I havnt had a transplant?

Its really unfair this as I will probably take less risks than the regular Jo!

I go on Saturday - any links would be a bonus! Tried Tesco but coz I cancelled my pet insurance with them they cant give me a quote til Monday. I would rater avoid giving them my money if poss!

I know Asda are a no go - dont even bother!
Live each day as though it would be your last.

www.facebook.com/leanne.p.k