PhD funding ideas?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

kitten

PhD funding ideas?

Post by kitten »

Hi there everyone,

I've only posted on this board a couple of times before. I donated a kidney to my friend at the end of last year, which was a life-changing experience for me as I'm now doing my psychology PhD (which I've just started) about kidney donation; specifically the decision-making process of recipients and donors.

I'm currently looking for funding from kidney charities... has anyone got any ideas of people who might be able to help? I've already found some possible grants available from Kidney Research UK, and have emailed a smaller charity called The Yorkshire Kidney Research Fund... any other ideas would be very gratefully received!

Thanks people,

Johanna
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Very rarely the NKF gives grants, and sometimes the BKPA but they tend to sponser those on heamodialysis.

Have you considered approaching the drug companies for sponsership? Might be an idea if you tell them your story, Genzyme, Roche and one or 2 others are all very much in the renal world.

Congrats on donating a kidney and good luck with your Phd:)
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hello!

Well done on the kidney :)

Have you applied for a proper PhD research studentship from the research councils such as the Medical Research Council, the Economic and Social Research Council, Nuffield, Leverhulme, Royal Society? I finished my PhD in 2007 and got full fees paid plus a bursary from the Economic and Social Research Council

A good place to look is www.researchresearch.com which has details of all grants available for fundiing research from small pots of £500ish up to $4 million+. It is fully searchable by area of speciality.

PM me if you need more help, I'm a lecturer and find funding and do research for a living :)

Jen
kitten

Post by kitten »

THanks very much guys... Jen, I shall drop you a PM. Am ill at the moment so not quite on the ball, but I should be better tomorrow and I'll contact you then.

THanks to JMan too. :D