any ideas on how to prevent gagging when cleaning teeth?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

any ideas on how to prevent gagging when cleaning teeth?

Post by amanda in CA »

No matter what I do, I cannot clean my teeth properly without gagging. this is linked to kidney disease because when I had my transplant it didn't used to happen apart from when I was pregnant. I've tried soft brushes, short brushes, manual brushes, electric brushes. Sometimes just the action of putting the brush in my mouth makes me gag, so I think that there has become psychological overlay to this issue. I do suffer from gastric-oesophaegeal disease too which I'm sure doesn't help.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

I too have a strong gag reflex but have the following tips (gained from a new dental hygienist I have just started going to):
* try an electric toothbrush again (I can tolerate this for much longer than a regular one) and
* try putting a bit of salt on the tip of your tongue - absolutely horrible but seems to inhibit the reflex (I tried this when she was cleaning my teeth and it seemed to work) - I know you need to watch salt intake but just a tiny bit seemed to work.
There was a third tip which I can ask about again - I have forgotten because the other two worked!
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Good tip about the salt! Thank you.
I had a nightmare when trying to do my teeth x-rays recently - we nearly gave up!
I have a terrible gage reflex - I cannot tolerate bad smells at all now - in fact I cannot even go into Iceland because it just smells of rotten meat to me - urghh
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

I don't have any suggestions but just to say I SO identify with this!! Before my tx gagging while cleaning teeth was a regular occurrence. I wonder what it is!
kiskeam

Post by kiskeam »

I'm so glad you posted this because I've suffered with it for ages and just never thought it was related to my kidneys. I just assumed I was a little over sensative. Although I have got a better brushing my teeth, I have a terrible problem with smells even thoughts of smells sets me off and it can be quite painfull and embarassing. Its reassuring to know its not just me. The salt solution sounds like a good idea and the next time I get a spell of it I'll give it a try.
Also I think I'll post another problem I am having and see if this is common amongst us.

Rgds
Claire
Cheryl in CT

Post by Cheryl in CT »

Hi, all -

Before my transplant, I, too, suffered very badly from a hair-trigger gag reflex.

In my case, there were 2 different triggers: smells and anything touching my tongue (especially toothbruch and tablets.) I wasted more pills than you can imagine back then! It got to the point that I could only take one at a time, so slowly that it might take a half hour to get them all down.

I never was able to reduce the gag reflex from the smells, but the gagging from toothbrush, tablets and the like was greatly reduced, thanks to a tip from my dentist: keep taking deep breaths through your nose!

As soon as you start to breathe through your mouth (which is a natural inclination when your mouth is already open to accomodate the toothbrush or whatever) you will gag again, so make a conscious effort NOT to take in any air through your mouth, but instead breathe in deeply through your nose.

It may sound simple and/or stupid, but it honestly did help me!

all the best,
Cheryl
Connecticut/USA
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

I am going to try both the salt and Cheryl's suggestion about breathing through my nose when cleaning. I do worry, because I know that poor dental hygiene can cause other problems and the dentist always nags me about not cleaning properly but it is so difficult to control. thanks for the suggestions, Amanda
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nicky wrote:I have a terrible gage reflex - I cannot tolerate bad smells at all now - in fact I cannot even go into Iceland because it just smells of rotten meat to me - urghh
thats why it's so cheap, all rotten and vile food!
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
Derek

Post by Derek »

So glad I've read this thread! Thanks for the advice on overcoming the gagging reflex - feeling ill all the time is bad enough, but struggling to brush my teeth adds to the discomfort.

I'm a new member of this forum, but I'm so glad I've joined - knowing I'm not alone feeling the way I do is reassuring.

Many thanks.
Derek