Swine Flu - one or two injections?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

lizzyie

Swine Flu - one or two injections?

Post by lizzyie »

Hi, I have had the normal flu jab a couple of weeks ago but am now waiting for the swine flu one. My question is, should it be one jab or two? I have read that some people are having one jab and then another 3 weeks later - that is a total of 3 flu jabs! (1 seasonal and 2 swine) Has anyone had the first jab? any information would be appreciated as my hospital and GP don't seem to know.
Thanks Lizzie.
Angel

Post by Angel »

Hi

I had my first swine flu jab on Monday and have to have another in 3 weeks time. From what I have read there are different versions of the jab and one of them is a once only jab, so I suppose it depends on which one your GP is using. This site had alot of useful information on it especially if you download the leaflets:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Swineflu/DG_177831
AmitChouhan

Post by AmitChouhan »

My Doc/Neph are advising that immuno-suppressed - and the PCT guidelines which i got a glance of - suggest that two swine flu jabs are given three weeks apart.

I had my first set the other day, and I'm still very sore :( anyone else feel that way?
Angel

Post by Angel »

I am the same Amit. I had the jab on Monday afternoon and today is the first day I can straighten my arm completely out. I haven't yet been able to lie on it but hoping that is not too far away now lol. I also had a sore armpit which I assumed was a swollen gland and felt fluey for a day so I definitely think it shows we are responding.
missyh

Post by missyh »

My Dr's are only using one injection as I queried this when they phoned me with an appointment. I've got mine tomorrow morning.
Hope it goes ok as I am marching for Armistice on Sunday
Hope everyone else is ok
regards
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

My doc is doing the single.

Will update on Monday once it's done!
laurajadedaniels

Post by laurajadedaniels »

we both have ours on tuesday afternoon now, to anyone who has had it done does it hurt anymore than the normal flu jab? x
Laura

Facebook
AmitChouhan

Post by AmitChouhan »

for me it does: my seasonal flu soreness has gone, but the swine flu one still hurts - nearly 4 days now!!
laurajadedaniels

Post by laurajadedaniels »

AmitChouhan wrote:for me it does: my seasonal flu soreness has gone, but the swine flu one still hurts - nearly 4 days now!!
brilliant :(
Laura

Facebook
missyh

Post by missyh »

I have just had my jab now - all ok so far! Didn't even feel the needle going in.
I now have to have 2. It depends on your medical condition as to what dose you have.
I hope everyone feels better soon
Love Helen x
AmitChouhan

Post by AmitChouhan »

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Pandemic-f ... ?WT.srch=1

This site seems to suggest two for immuno-compromised folks.. or have i mis-read it?
stephenM

swine flu

Post by stephenM »

I had mine on saturday, apart form my arm being a bit sore everything seems fine, when I asked about another injection the nurse said I only needed one as I have'nt had a transplant yet :)
Learning to live again!!
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

Hello
I think there are two different types of injection. One type requires one jab and another requires two - or have I got htis wrong?
I only had one - it was on Friday and my arm still hurts!!!
N
Lorna

Post by Lorna »

I was told it's only 2 jabs for people who are immuno suppressed or have a compromised immune system for any reason. I'd my first one on Saturday and my arm hurts like hell! First I've ever had any reaction from any flu vaccine - and I've been vaccinated for more years than I care to remember now!

Lorna
xx
amanda in CA

Post by amanda in CA »

there are different manufacturers and I believe that the number of jabs depends on who the manufacturer is.